Author Topic: Lee family, Deptford  (Read 321 times)

Online trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
Re: Lee family, Deptford
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 15 March 23 11:41 GMT (UK) »
1861 you probably know has a WILLIAM Lee 18 (1843) and CHARLES Lee 17 (1844) both born Woolwich living with their Uncle GEORGE and Family in Tweedmouth.
Charles a Millwright, Uncle George a Boat Builder.
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline Ace92

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 15 March 23 18:54 GMT (UK) »
Having trouble finding them on Census!

JANE Mace bapt 22 Oct 1809, Holy Trinity, Berwick-Upon-Tweed, Northumberland
Parents CHARLES/ELIZ Mace, Mother nee DRYSDALE
Father a Carpenter
7th Daughter. Father of this Parish. Mother of Edinburgh

Thank you for the info!
I did see Charles and William in 1861 census living in Tweedmouth but unfortunately couldn't trace them after that. Probably another brick wall for now.

So Jane had a sister Ann Mace (b. 1805) married to Joseph Smith (b.1804 in Alfreton, Derbyshire).
They had a few children born in Deptford in the 1830s-1840s (William b. 1831, Ann Mary b.1833, Joseph b. 1836, Sarah b. 1838, Jonathan, b. 1840, ...) and the 1841 census has them living in Deptford, Union street.
Could somebody look up their exact address in 1840/1841 and Joseph's occupation?

As for the Lees, I'm starting to suspect that by 1851 they'd left England, but they should have been around for the 1841 census.

Offline Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 15 March 23 19:36 GMT (UK) »

As for the Lees, I'm starting to suspect that by 1851 they'd left England, but they should have been around for the 1841 census.

I suspect it's quite likely they've died  given the boys are still in the UK

1851 Charles is with a Daniel Lee and family. They may or may not be related - I can;t read Daniel's birthplace on the image but it's been transcribed as Clapham, nor can I work out Charles' relationship to head - Ancestry have servant

Offline Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 15 March 23 19:41 GMT (UK) »

So Jane had a sister Ann Mace (b. 1805) married to Joseph Smith (b.1804 in Alfreton, Derbyshire).
They had a few children born in Deptford in the 1830s-1840s (William b. 1831, Ann Mary b.1833, Joseph b. 1836, Sarah b. 1838, Jonathan, b. 1840, ...) and the 1841 census has them living in Deptford, Union street.
Could somebody look up their exact address in 1840/1841 and Joseph's occupation?

Looks like  no 47. Joseph is an engineer

Offline Ace92

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 15 March 23 20:44 GMT (UK) »

I suspect it's quite likely they've died  given the boys are still in the UK

1851 Charles is with a Daniel Lee and family. They may or may not be related - I can;t read Daniel's birthplace on the image but it's been transcribed as Clapham, nor can I work out Charles' relationship to head - Ancestry have servant

Oh, they definetely left England around that time (1847-1852), I just don't know when exactly (waiting for the info from the archives). In the 1840s-early 1850s, a team of shipbuilders led by the engineer James Carr was invited to work in the Ural plants in Russia. William Lee was among them. I think he arrived first (around 1849 maybe?) and then moved the family there. William and Jane had another 2 sons in Russia. In 1857 his contract ended and he was supposed to return back to England from Yekaterinburg but stayed in Russia and in the 1860s worked in the mint in St Petersburg. So I think Charles and William (maybe Isabella too - can't trace her) went back to England without the parents. George (b.1836) and the sons born in Russia stayed too.

Looks like  no 47. Joseph is an engineer

Thanks for all your help, much appreciated