Author Topic: Westmorland Parish Records on line.  (Read 443 times)

Offline MaecW

• RootsChat Senior
  • Yma o hyd
    • View Profile
Westmorland Parish Records on line.
« on: Wednesday 15 March 23 02:52 GMT (UK) »
I have a feeling I've asked this before, maybe several years ago, without success but things change so it is worth asking again.
Are any of the actual Westmorland PRs available to view on line ? The other counties I have been researching in have all had their PRs and/or BTs online either with Ancestry or Family Search, but not Westmorland.  A few oddments do appear on FindMyPast but not a large selection.
Family Search do have these records, which have been made searchable in a transcript form but attempts to view the originals result in a message : "Access the site at a FamilySearch center.
Access the site at a FamilySearch affiliate library." 

If the originals are not available is there some particular reason why not (diocesan objection, perhaps ? ) or is it just a matter of waiting for somebody to process them ?
Baron (of Blackburn), Chadwick (Oswaldtwistle), Watkins (Swansea), Jones (x3 Swansea), Colton (Shropshire), Knight (Shropshire/Montgomery) , Bullen (Norfolk), White (Dorset)

Offline Davedrave

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Westmorland Parish Records on line.
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 15 March 23 07:04 GMT (UK) »
I think that the question of whether/where to make parish records available online is decided by individual record offices. Essex, for example, use neither FindMyPast nor Ancestry but have their own subscription website.
ESSEX: Cramphorn Raven Sams Sayers Taylor; GLOS: Beacham/Beauchamp; HERTS: Chamberlain Chuck; LEICS: Allot Bentley Godfrey Greasley Hunt Hurst Jarvis Lane Lea Light Woodward; LINCS: Lambert Mitchell Muse ; STAFFS: Hodgkins Jarvis; SURREY: Light; WARKS: Astley/Chesshire Bradbury Hicken/Hickin Hudson; WORCS: Ballinger Beauchamp Laight

Offline GrahamSimons

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 15 March 23 10:18 GMT (UK) »
The process of scanning and then linking the scans to an index is slow and often quite challenging. If the indexes already exist, the record office has to decide whether to spend money on this or on other  projects. Mostly if you have an index, the originals may well be available on microfilm in the record office (or of course via a FamilySearch Center, of which there are many).
OG Index can help..... https://ogindex.org/search
Simons Barrett Jaffray Waugh Langdale Heugh Meade Garnsey Evans Vazie Mountcure Glascodine Parish Peard Smart Dobbie Sinclair....
in Stirlingshire, Roxburghshire; Bucks; Devon; Somerset; Northumberland; Carmarthenshire; Glamorgan

Offline MaecW

• RootsChat Senior
  • Yma o hyd
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 16 March 23 04:52 GMT (UK) »
Thank you both for your thoughts. You both refer to Record offices but I am reasonably sure that the controlling authority for Parish Records is the Bishop of the appropriate diocese. Most of whom have been happy to release records, but a few had reservations perhaps related to the LDS origins of Family Search.
On looking again at some of the Kendal records on FS I note that they are accompanied by a note as follows :
"To view these images do one of the following:

Access the site at a FamilySearch center.
    Access the site at a FamilySearch affiliate library."

This suggests they are available on fiche, but regrettably much of Westmorland is not.
It is not clear whether this is because they have yet to be processed or that there is some other obstacle.
More waiting required !
Baron (of Blackburn), Chadwick (Oswaldtwistle), Watkins (Swansea), Jones (x3 Swansea), Colton (Shropshire), Knight (Shropshire/Montgomery) , Bullen (Norfolk), White (Dorset)

Offline GrahamSimons

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 16 March 23 18:00 GMT (UK) »
This might (or might not) help.... Westmorland is within the county of Cumbria until the end of March 2023 when Cumbria will split into two authorities (which won't quite match the grography of the former Cumberland and Westmorland):
https://www.cumbria.gov.uk/archives/Online_catalogues/Ecclesiastical/parish.asp
Simons Barrett Jaffray Waugh Langdale Heugh Meade Garnsey Evans Vazie Mountcure Glascodine Parish Peard Smart Dobbie Sinclair....
in Stirlingshire, Roxburghshire; Bucks; Devon; Somerset; Northumberland; Carmarthenshire; Glamorgan

Offline Gan Yam

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Going Home - exploring my past
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 16 March 23 19:26 GMT (UK) »
This might (or might not) help.... Westmorland is within the county of Cumbria until the end of March 2023 when Cumbria will split into two authorities (which won't quite match the grography of the former Cumberland and Westmorland):
https://www.cumbria.gov.uk/archives/Online_catalogues/Ecclesiastical/parish.asp

The main office for Cumbria Archives holds parish records on microfiche for the whole of current Cumbria, the other offices hold the records for their areas.  There is microfiche for Westmorland parishes as I have viewed several of them.

Regarding the change from Cumbria to the new authorities, although taking place in April, will take at least two years to complete, so probably not much will change in the short term.

On my next visit to the archives I could check to see if what you are looking for is available.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk