Author Topic: Looking for William Lidiard's parents  (Read 291 times)

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Looking for William Lidiard's parents
« on: Wednesday 15 March 23 10:38 GMT (UK) »
William Lidiard married Mary Grey in Brightwalton on 9 Oct 1745. His residence was Leckhamstead. I have found 4 children, John, William, Mary and the last being Elizabeth bapt 23 Sep 1753 in Brightwalton.
There is a Mary Lidiard buried on 22 Sep 1753 in Brightwalton. No age or relationships mentioned but it does say her residence was Leckhamstead.
I have found a Mary Grey baptised in Brightwalton on 14 Feb 1719 d/o Joseph and Joan (nee Banister?), so assume William was a similar age or a bit older.
Can anyone find a likely baptism for him, please?
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for William Lidiard's parents
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 15 March 23 11:40 GMT (UK) »
I wonder if you have considered these in Wiltshire where the name seems, with various spellings, fairly common. There are others. (Family search.

William Liddiard   Baptism 7 April 1712 Ogbourne St Andrew, Wiltshire Parents John Liddiard, Anne

Will. Lidyard   Christening 6 January 1714 Marlborough, Wiltshire Parents Will. Lidyard, Ann

Colin
PS: Both about 17 miles from Brightwalton.
Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.

Offline ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 15 March 23 12:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi
A bit nearer
East Garston
William s of John and Mary Lydiard 23 Aug 1713

Siblings John 19 May 1717-12 Dec 1725,Thomas 19 June 1720,Mary 23 .5.1724,Henry 4.3.1727 and Joseph (Joseph died 29th)

The couple married there 10 Aug 1712 -John Lydiard and Mary Winter
John may have been buried 19 Feb 1730 (Perhaps your  William 2 May 1787 Leckhampsted and daughter Mary 5.7.1785 d of Wm and Mary)
Can't find a burial for John's wife.

Ciderdrinker

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 15 March 23 13:38 GMT (UK) »
I had looked at the East Garston one because of proximity and it was my best contender. I believe my William married again in Leckhamstead to Ann Muldey in 1757, and his is the burial in 1787.
The burial of Mary in 1785 puzzled me because to record the parents names implies an infant or child burial and Mary daughter of my William would have been about 34.
I have Mary Liddiard (1751) marrying William Wiltshire in East Challow in 1771. They are my direct ancestors through their son Edward Wiltshire and have a DNA match to a descendent of another son William Wiltshire.
William Liddiard and Mary Grey had a son William but I have him dying as an infant, not growing up to marry yet another Mary and producing the Mary buried in Leckhamstead in 1785
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 15 March 23 13:51 GMT (UK) »
I wonder if you have considered these in Wiltshire where the name seems, with various spellings, fairly common. There are others. (Family search.

William Liddiard   Baptism 7 April 1712 Ogbourne St Andrew, Wiltshire Parents John Liddiard, Anne

Will. Lidyard   Christening 6 January 1714 Marlborough, Wiltshire Parents Will. Lidyard, Ann

Colin
PS: Both about 17 miles from Brightwalton.

Thank you, I have been tempted to look at some of the Wiltshire Liddiards. I do have DNA matches to some descendant of Lidiards in Aldbourne. But they would be 7th cousins at closest and 10 - 23 cM seems much too high, so I think the match through Liddiards is a co-incidence and more likely the match is through another branch of the family. My paternal grandfather's family all came from West Berkshire spilling over the border into Wiltshire.

Offline KarenLiddiard

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 27 December 23 21:02 GMT (UK) »
 Most Liddiard lines come from North Wiltshire , Aldbourne , the Ogbourne's and surrounds originally. I have studied the Liddiard's in detail for 30 years and its still ongoing. The Liddiard from Ogbourne St Andrew and Rockley , are not a contender for this one. We have this line documented and proven since 1453, they leased land and left lots of wills . I have had trouble placing this William from Leckhamstead too and always suspected that  this family originally came from Aldbourne. Is there any male living Liddiard's from this line, the Liddiard one-name study has a Y-DNA project, with around 25 participants which can help pinpoint the family going way back to the era we need. We also get together in Aldbourne every 3 years or so , we will be gathering in Aldbourne Wiltshire again on 20-22 September 2024 to celebrate the family.

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 02 January 24 15:33 GMT (UK) »
Hello and welcome to Rootschat
William and Mary (nee Grey) had two (possibly three) sons and two daughters before Mary's death. I believe William remarried but I haven't found and further children for him.
The sons are John bapt 3 April 1747, William buried 31 Dec1749 (record says son of William and Mary but no baptism found). The possible son is Joseph bapt 20 July 1746. Record only says son of William, mother's name not recorded. That would be nine months after marriage and only nine months before John's baptism. But Joseph could have been well on the way when they got married and baptised at several months old.
I haven't yet found whether John or Joseph married and had any male descendants. There is a John marrying in East Ilsley who could be same one, but the only Joseph of the right sort of age is one in Ramsbury Wilts which is some distance away.