Author Topic: 33rd Guard Brigade Workshops, R.E.M.E. September 1943  (Read 152 times)

Offline mickawinn

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
33rd Guard Brigade Workshops, R.E.M.E. September 1943
« on: Wednesday 15 March 23 13:05 GMT (UK) »
I have a photo of a group with this title. Printed underneath is Weston, Northwood which I assume is the location. But the only Weston I know is Weston Super Mare, is this likely to be right?

Offline Andy J2022

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: 33rd Guard Brigade Workshops, R.E.M.E. September 1943
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 15 March 23 13:53 GMT (UK) »
33rd Infantry Brigade was reformed on 24th October 1941 in London District before being retitled 33rd Independent Infantry Brigade (Guards) on 10 November 1942. It was only intended for home defence. As such its attached REME Workshop would have had to have been co-located so I suggest the Northwood here is the one in North West London.
The 33rd Guards Brigade Workshops REME was disbanded on 30th September 1943 shortly before the Brigade which it supported was also disbanded. All the REME soldiers in the Workshops would have been posted to other units.
REME as a Corps was itself only created in October 1942, so the soldiers in the 33rd Workshops would still have been getting used to their new role and identity, having previously been fitters and mechanics in the RAOC, RASC or RE, when their unit first joined the 33rd Brigade in January 1943. 

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 15 March 23 14:10 GMT (UK) »
A W H Weston was a photographic studio in Northwood.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Andy J2022

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 15 March 23 14:18 GMT (UK) »
I think Shaun is right, but in case it is a refence to a location, the most likely one is in the area of Weston Wood near Croxley station, about 5km to the North East of Northwood itself, and today is part of Croxley Green. Article on batboxes in Weston Wood here: https://croxleygreen-pc.gov.uk/index.php/community/latest-news/1147-bat-boxes-weston-wood

Offline mickawinn

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 15 March 23 15:07 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the replies, that’s great.