Author Topic: Donald McKenzie born Milntown in Contin  (Read 380 times)

Offline macken_h

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Donald McKenzie born Milntown in Contin
« on: Wednesday 15 March 23 23:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
I have previously posted on this forum with little success.
I have recently obtained the birth certificate for whom I believe is my Donald McKenzie.
The certificate states that he was born and baptised on the 2nd September 1797.
His father was Kenneth McKenzie (a weaver) and no mother is listed.
It also states that he was born in Milntown of Contin.
Where do I start for looking for more information?
I will include the link for my previous post regarding Donald.

https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=779535.msg6337442#msg6337442

Attached is the birth certificate for Donald in the County of Ross and Cromarty.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Regards Hilary
Balfour, Painting. Belin, de Belin. Mackenzie/McKenzie

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Donald McKenzie born Milntown in Contin
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 16 March 23 04:37 GMT (UK) »

Does this describes the information you are giving in this, and earlier post when researching the origins of your Donald McKENZIE? -

You have a letter dated 5 July 1875 from Ronald McALISTER, Minster of Dingwall, being his response to enquiry by A Wilmot McKENZIE in India, and seeking information about the family of Donald McKENZIE native of Nig, Rosshire, and this Donald died in India about ten years earlier (than 1875).

Rev McALISTER in response names four brothers, Alexander, John, Robert and William, and three sisters, Lillias, Isabella and Catherine for your Donald who died India.

"I have recently obtained the birth certificate for whom I believe is my Donald McKenzie.
His father was Kenneth McKenzie (a weaver) and no mother is listed."

If this Donald McKENZIE, baptised 1797 has father Kenneth, then you might expect that the Donald referred to in the letter, 1875, with brothers Alexander, John, Robert and William would also have a brother Kenneth, named for father, Kenneth?

Do you know the purpose of the enquiry to Rev McALISTER in 1875?

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 16 March 23 09:24 GMT (UK) »
Where do I start for looking for more information?

www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

But you have evidence in your previous thread linking your Donald MacKenzie to Nigg and to Rosemarkie/Fortrose.

Donald M(a)cKenzie is a very common name in Ross and Cromarty. There were 15 recorded baptisms of children named Donald M(a)cKenzie in Ross and Cromarty from 1796 to 1800, and goodness knows how many whose baptism records, if they ever existed, have not survived.

What evidence do you have, other than an approximate coincidence of dates, that the one born in Contin is your one?

Have you looked at the death certificate of Lilias/Lilly McKenzie, who died in Rosemarkie/Fortrose in 1857, mother's maiden surname Campbell? Who was her father?

Or the death of William McKenzie in Fortrose in 1877, to see if his father's name matches Lilias/Lilly's father's name?

If not then I recommend that you do so.

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 18 March 23 02:30 GMT (UK) »
Have you looked at the death certificate of Lilias/Lilly McKenzie, who died in Rosemarkie/Fortrose in 1857, mother's maiden surname Campbell? Who was her father?
Seems I posted the above possibility for Lilias/Lily over 5 yrs ago on 26 Sep 17 at Reply #2...completely ignored, no response but was 'picked up on' for something else (minor) among the detailed search/help I'd provided!!!  ???

https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=779535.0;topicseen

this could be Lilias (as Lilly) which would have her b c 1791

MCKENZIE LILLY
080/ 13
Rosemarkie and Fortrose

Added...There's no corresponding name/date/age with any other surname i.e. likely died a spinster.

"I have previously posted on this forum with little success"

Maybe follow up previous suggestions & let us know your reasoning as to why they were of little 'success'?

"I have recently obtained the birth certificate for whom I believe is my Donald McKenzie.
"

It's not a birth certificate, it's an entry in a Parish Register as birth certificates were not issued until 1855 in Scotland.

Annie

South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 18 March 23 02:40 GMT (UK) »
Or the death of William McKenzie in Fortrose in 1877, to see if his father's name matches Lilias/Lilly's father's name?

If not then I recommend that you do so.
I provided that possibility over 5 yrs ago!!! Reply #1 Tue 26 Sep 17 ...

Again, no response, completely ignored yet the OP thought it was more important to 'pick me up' on the minor issue  ???

https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=779535.msg6337041#msg6337041

Could this be William who was 88 yrs in 1875?

MACKENZIE WILLIAM
080/ 10
Rosemarkie and Fortrose (Ross & Cromarty)

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"