Author Topic: George WINGRAVE - 1811 - ?  (Read 138 times)

Offline Pat Hase

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
George WINGRAVE - 1811 - ?
« on: Thursday 16 March 23 14:34 GMT (UK) »
George WINGRAVE was born in Middlesex about 1811 - his father was Joseph WINGRAVE and they were Oil and Italian Warehousemen.  George married Sarah PRIMER at Cheltenham in 1845 and they had 3 daughters by the 1851 census when they were living in Fleet Street, St Bride.  Sarah died later in 1851 and by the 1861 census the 3 daughters are living in Cheltenham with their maternal grandfather David PRIMER and are entered with the surname PRIMER.  My question is "What happened to George WINGRAVE?
Surnames in Somerset - BENNETT, COLES, ELLY, GARLAND, GUPPY, HASE, KERTON, LANGTREE, MARSHALL, MILLARD, NICHOLLS, PUDDY,  ROGERS, SAUNDERS, SPERRING, STOKES, SYMMONS, TAYLOR, WHITTING, WOODBURN
Surnames in Gloucestershire - BURCHELL, HILL, LONG, WATTS, PINNOCK, RUDDER, SHORT,
Surnames in Wiltshire - DEW, JONES,

Online QueenoftheWest

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: George WINGRAVE - 1811 - ?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 16 March 23 14:50 GMT (UK) »
Could he have emigrated? Some Ancestry trees suggest that he is George Wingrave, pickle dealer, who moved to Ontario, Canada. He is present on the 1881 census of Canada:
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:S3HY-D1NQ-BYC?personaUrl=%2Fark%3A%2F61903%2F1%3A1%3AMVF4-42H

He died in 1882:
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3Q93-C9YJ-744S-R?i=233&cc=1307826&personaUrl=%2Fark%3A%2F61903%2F1%3A1%3AJD2F-Y3R

His place of birth is given as London, England.

Just a suggestion, but this could explain why he cannot be found in England post-1861, when it looks like he is boarding in Shoreditch with Robert and Sarah Tavener.

Queenie  :)
Fidler - West Ilsley, Berkshire
Hamlin/Hamlyn - Long Sutton & Martock, Somerset
Head - Marlborough & Alton Priors, Wiltshire
Minson - Kingstone, Somerset/Symondsbury, Dorset
Owsley - Buckland St Mary, Somerset
Pyke - (West) Weeke/Wick, Pewsey, Wiltshire
Salisbury - Dowlish Wake/West Dowlish, Somerset

Offline Pat Hase

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: George WINGRAVE - 1811 - ?
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 16 March 23 16:34 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for that - All sounds very possible.  I'm sure I came across the surname FOX when I was looking for George but can't remember where!  The was an Arthur Wingrave FOX but he's probably a red herring!  I'm grateful for the tip.  I'm very wary of Ancestry Trees as a rule but this does seem likely.  Thank you.
Surnames in Somerset - BENNETT, COLES, ELLY, GARLAND, GUPPY, HASE, KERTON, LANGTREE, MARSHALL, MILLARD, NICHOLLS, PUDDY,  ROGERS, SAUNDERS, SPERRING, STOKES, SYMMONS, TAYLOR, WHITTING, WOODBURN
Surnames in Gloucestershire - BURCHELL, HILL, LONG, WATTS, PINNOCK, RUDDER, SHORT,
Surnames in Wiltshire - DEW, JONES,