Author Topic: John & Mary Askew, Goochland County VA  (Read 156 times)

Offline RoA

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John & Mary Askew, Goochland County VA
« on: Thursday 16 March 23 16:54 GMT (UK) »
My husband's ancestors trace back to John & Mary Askew.  They both died in Goochland Cty, Va.  John is supposed to have lived from 1710 to 1757.  But there are mixed answers as to who the parents are of John or whether he was born in England or Bertie County, NC.  Does anyone have any thoughts?

Thanks!

Offline oldohiohome

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: John & Mary Askew, Goochland County VA
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 19 March 23 00:26 GMT (UK) »
You'd have to research Goochland County and see where the early settlers came from. Do you know when John arrived there? How long had it been settled when he arrived?

------------
This page has a list of John's children who were named in his will.
https://freepages.rootsweb.com/~famlytre/genealogy/Askew~1.htm
Does anyone claim to know where the children were born?

Also, you could email the maintainer of that page and ask if he knows more than he has on the page, last updated in 2018. If not now, then at least go get his email addresses because you never know what ancestry will do to rootsweb. They are going to make it read only soon, and people might take their information and go elsewhere or just go nowhere.

-------
Same with Bertie County, NC. Does anyone know where people went when they left? It will be harder to find out. Usually you get information like that from the county people arrived in, not the one they left.

-------------
I have no background in early Virginia research, but I can't picture someone arriving from England, say 1715, if John Askew came with parents, or 1730 if he came on his own, and just plunking himself down that far inland. There had been English settlers there since before the Mayflower and I'm sure they had staked things out pretty well in 100+ years.

Similarly, I'd expect someone from Bertie County to move westward if he wanted more land, not northeast into another colony.* (edited)

My guess is that John Askew, if he wasn't born in Goochland County, came from somewhere farther east in Virginia.
------
This site has some transcribed land records and there is one for a John Askew in Isle of Wight County. - Too early to be the man born 1710, but maybe worth looking at.
Isle of Wight County VA  Land Records
10 Dec 1694: Nicholas Askew and wife, Sarah Askew, to John Askew... 170 acres of land.  Wit: William Bradshaw, John Luten and Francis (X) Segrave.  Signed: Nicholas Askew, Sarah (X) Askew    4, pg. 49
http://bratcherrw.com/Land/LandVAIsleWt.htm

Which raises the question - were there a lot of Askews around or would this reference have to be a relative of John?

--------------
*Edit: although westward in North Carolina puts you in the mountains, so maybe they would move into Virginia if they wanted decent land. The Scots-Irish were arriving in the 1700s and a lot of them settled in the mountains. Askew sounds like an English name. Were there any Askews on any records in Bertie County?