Author Topic: WW2 Army Mediical Records  (Read 322 times)

Offline ALAMO2008

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
WW2 Army Mediical Records
« on: Thursday 16 March 23 19:10 GMT (UK) »
Just had someone ask about where they could get Relatives WW2 Medical Records from
They claim they had obtained the WW2 Service Records but wanted the Medical Records for the Soldier
When I said hadn't heard of that before
Got told they claimed they had them for WW1 Soldiers
Did they mean Casualties Lists for WW1 ? or Do they exist ? And if so for Both Years?
CHAPMAN ROBINSON McKAY O'MALLEY

Offline Andy J2022

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: WW2 Army Mediical Records
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 16 March 23 21:44 GMT (UK) »
I think it is highly unlikely that the MOD will release the medical records of any WW2 veterans unless there are some very special circumstances (for instance they are required to look for evidence of a genetic condition which may effect a descendant). We know from other recent threads on RC that TNA are withholding the release of soldiers' records, partly due to the sensitivity of the medical information contained in them.

Looking at the First World War, most of the surviving documents do include some limited medical information, for instance, concerning the medical examination on enlistment and at discharge. The latter is likely to contain details of any medical condition which may mean a soldier is entitled to an enhanced pension. Additionally, on a few records I have seen, the Casualties, Honours and Awards section may contain details of any wounds and a list of medical facilities / hospital with dates where treatment was given.

Today, a soldier's medical records (known as his FMed 8 ) are entirely separate from his service records (enlistment, postings, trades, courses, promotions etc). When the soldier is discharged, his FMed 8 is made available to the soldier's new civilian GP in order to provide continuity of his medical records. The FMed 8 also contains his dental records.  I have no idea when this practice of separating the types of documents was first initiated.

Offline Jebber

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 16 March 23 22:47 GMT (UK) »
I have my husband’s Post war records, the only medical information is his blood group (which they have got wrong) and his inoculations. No mention of anything else, all of which I am fully aware of.

I would expect WW2 records to be the same.
CHOULES All ,  COKER Harwich Essex & Rochester Kent 
COLE Gt. Oakley, & Lt. Oakley, Essex.
DUNCAN Kent
EVERITT Colchester,  Dovercourt & Harwich Essex
GULLIVER/GULLOFER Fifehead Magdalen Dorset
HORSCROFT Kent.
KING Sturminster Newton, Dorset. MONK Odiham Ham.
SCOTT Wrabness, Essex
WILKINS Stour Provost, Dorset.
WICKHAM All in North Essex.
WICKHAM Medway Towns, Kent from 1880
WICKHAM, Ipswich, Suffolk.

Offline ALAMO2008

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 17 March 23 08:27 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Everyone
as I Expected
Not available
Common Sense prevails.
Cheers
CHAPMAN ROBINSON McKAY O'MALLEY

Online Nanna52

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Edwin WB Vincent, my actor, (1881-1940)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 17 March 23 10:40 GMT (UK) »
I’ve just had a look at my fathers Australian WW2 records.  It has mention of illness or injuries in the form of ‘marched into hospital and discharged from hospital, returned to unit’.  It vaguely mentions problem, for example PUO, malaria, impetigo, but nothing detailing treatment.  I am sure there is more information but I doubt we could get it.
James -Victoria, Australia originally from Keynsham, Somerset.
Janes - Keynsham and Bristol area.
Heale/Hale - Keynsham, Somerset
Vincent - Illogan/Redruth, Cornwall.  Moved to Sculcoates, Yorkshire; Grass Valley, California; Timaru, New Zealand and Victoria, Australia.
Williams somewhere in Wales - he kept moving
Ellis - Anglesey

Gedmatch A327531