Author Topic: Burial of babies  (Read 548 times)

Offline Kathmferrier

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Burial of babies
« on: Friday 17 March 23 00:00 GMT (UK) »
I have found the grave and headstone for my great grandmother, in Nellfield cemetery in Aberdeen.
In 1886 she died of  eclampsia at eight months and child she as carrying only survived 6 hours.

The original bodies in the grave appear to be her niece and nephew, children of one of her sisters, who died a couple of months apart in 1879 aged 10 and 8yrs. (Surname Adams)

Her mother was interred in 1882

When my great grandmother died in 1886 she was buried under her maiden name (Lawson)despite having been married in 1882 and widowed a month before her death. There was speculation her husband committed suicide but this was not stated on the death certificate. (I have a copy of the original certificate and the precognition added after the Procurator Fiscal looked into the circumstances of his death.) I had expected to see a mention of the child she was carrying on the headstone. But there is nothing

Would it be usual to omit the name of such a young child?

I suspect that as her father chose not to use her married name on the headstone that he may not have totally approved on his son-in-law. The two surviving children, aged 3 and 18 months, were boarded out. The eldest, my grandmother, only moving into the family to live with a maiden aunt once her grandfather died. By this time she was 17 years old. I’ve found it difficult to trace the son.

The final name on the headstone is that of her father (John Lawson)
Angus.(paternal)  Ferrier, Sutherland, Donaldson, 
(Maternal)  Mitchell, Robbie, Duncan, Suttie, Orchardson or Orchardton, Dempster, Downie Guild, Gibb, Storrier, Murdoch

Aberdeenshire Park, Lawson, Snowie, Bodie, Booth, Kesson, Ewan

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Burial of babies
« Reply #1 on: Friday 17 March 23 00:08 GMT (UK) »
In Scotland, women retain their maiden name after marriage, so it is normal to see them recorded on their death / burial under their maiden name.
If the premature, dead child was not named, I would not necessarily expect to see him/her recorded on the grave.
Milligan - Jardine – Glencross – Dinwoodie - Brown: (Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire)
Clark – Faulds – Cuthbertson – Bryson – Wilson: (Ayrshire & Renfrewshire)
Neale – Cater – Kinder - Harrison: (Warwickshire & Queensland)
Roberts - Spry: (Cornwall, Middlesex & Queensland)
Munster: (Schleswig-Holstein & Queensland) and Plate: (Braunschweig, Neubruck & Queensland & New York)

Offline Kathmferrier

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 17 March 23 00:46 GMT (UK) »
Thanks

You’re right of course about women retaining their maiden name. I guess it’s thrown me a bit here as she’s buried with other family - had she buried with her husband she’d have been Betsy Lawson,  wife of John Park.

I’ve no idea where he’s been buried and nothing has come up for Nellfield. I’m not really sure where to look. I just happen to come across Nellfield for Betsy on something on ancestry so I didn’t have to do much digging.

The baby was named - John after his father - I’ve copies of the birth and death certificates.
I know it was common for foetuses and still borns to be disposed of but hopefully wee John was laid to rest with his mum.
(Maternal)  Mitchell, Robbie, Duncan, Suttie, Orchardson or Orchardton, Dempster, Downie Guild, Gibb, Storrier, Murdoch

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 17 March 23 12:03 GMT (UK) »
Have you seen the burial record or only the inscription on the stone?

You may be able to find the burial details at https://www.deceasedonline.com but if they're not there you need to contact Aberdeen City Council https://www.aberdeencity.gov.uk/services/births-deaths-and-ceremonies/deaths-and-bereavement/cemeteries-and-burial-grounds
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Kathmferrier

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 18 March 23 11:53 GMT (UK) »

Thanks Forfarian.

I’ve only seen the headstone.

I looked on deceasedonline and there’s nothing at all for either John Park senior who was found dead on 5/5/1886 in a pool of water at the Den of Culter or baby John Park whowas born and died on 20/6/1886 at Frederick Street in Aberdeen. (This info is correct as I’ve got the certificates from Scotlands People.) Interestingly there are no recorded burials of anyone with the name of Park anywhere in 1886!

I’ll get in touch with ACC and see if they are able to shed any light.

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 18 March 23 13:17 GMT (UK) »
Good luck!

Make sure to tell Aberdeen City Council that you have already checked Deceased Online otherwise they will try to refer you back there.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Kathmferrier

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 18 March 23 13:27 GMT (UK) »
Thanks

Offline Kathmferrier

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 21 March 23 17:49 GMT (UK) »
Been in touch with ACC.
I have to say I’m finding them very helpful.
It’s possible to look at lair records so will see what turns up.

Offline Kathmferrier

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 22 March 23 10:57 GMT (UK) »
ACC have come up trumps.
They found the lair record and the baby is listed.
They also been able to say where in the cemetery the lair is.