Author Topic: How do I break through this Brick Wall?  (Read 314 times)

Offline lametiger

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
How do I break through this Brick Wall?
« on: Friday 17 March 23 23:07 GMT (UK) »
I am at a loss to know how to best pursue the vague hints I have of my Irish connection on my mother’s side. The most complete information I have is from a biographical sketch of John Ratliff included in the  History of Trumbull and Mahoning Counties with Illustrations and Biographical Sketches, Vol II . Therein, it says that “in 1818 he married Elizabeth Wilson, daughter of Robert and Elizabeth (Hyde) Wilson, who were natives of Ireland but came to this country when quite young.” There is no indication in this terse reference to where they were from in Ireland, where they immigrated to the US, or wen this was—‘when quite young’ could not be any vaguer. My mother was told that she was “part Scotch-Irish” which would seem to indicate they were from Ulster, but that still is no real help without more details than I have. Assuming that Elizabeth was about 20 when she married John Ratliff, and that she was born when her parents were about that same age, that could place their births at around 1778, give or take a few years, but this is just guesswork. I keep looking for their names on the genealogical sites, but no one else seems to have any better idea than I do.It doesn’t help, either, that Elizabeth, Robert, Hyde, and Wilson are all common names.

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: How do I break through this Brick Wall?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 19 March 23 05:43 GMT (UK) »
Warren Trumbull County May 3rd 1817
Marriage contract between John Ratliff junior and Betsy Wilson of Howland

Her grave marker suggests Elizabeth’s birth about 1798
https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/81900493/elizabeth-ratliff

The 1860 and 1870 census gives Elizabeth place of birth as Pennsylvania, and year of birth abt 1799.

From the census records you can see that John Ratliff was a similar age to his wife, and also born in Pennsylvania. From the marriage record you know that his father was also named John.
Milligan - Jardine – Glencross – Dinwoodie - Brown: (Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire)
Clark – Faulds – Cuthbertson – Bryson – Wilson: (Ayrshire & Renfrewshire)
Neale – Cater – Kinder - Harrison: (Warwickshire & Queensland)
Roberts - Spry: (Cornwall, Middlesex & Queensland)
Munster: (Schleswig-Holstein & Queensland) and Plate: (Braunschweig, Neubruck & Queensland & New York)

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: How do I break through this Brick Wall?
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 19 March 23 06:16 GMT (UK) »
John Ratliff senior died in Howland on 6 March 1842.
He appears on the 1830 and 1840 census in Howland.
There is a will for him available on Ancestry – he mentions his wife Mary, his son John junior and his 2 daughters Rachel Reeves (wife of Archibald) and Betsy Earle.

The daughter Rachel, according to the census, was born in Delaware abt 1789
Milligan - Jardine – Glencross – Dinwoodie - Brown: (Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire)
Clark – Faulds – Cuthbertson – Bryson – Wilson: (Ayrshire & Renfrewshire)
Neale – Cater – Kinder - Harrison: (Warwickshire & Queensland)
Roberts - Spry: (Cornwall, Middlesex & Queensland)
Munster: (Schleswig-Holstein & Queensland) and Plate: (Braunschweig, Neubruck & Queensland & New York)