Author Topic: Photo on glass  (Read 346 times)

Online Ili1133

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Photo on glass
« on: Saturday 18 March 23 14:52 GMT (UK) »
I recently bit the bullet and started to remove the backing paper from a framed photograph of one of our family who we have never been able to identify. I’d often thought of posting the photo here for Rootschatters’ opinions on date.

I soon realised the photo is on glass, and, from my rudimentary reading and a few family history talks around techniques, think it’s an ambrotype. The white of the black and white conveys almost a 3D effect. Would you experts think this is likely? I know there was another very early (1850s) photo on glass handed down in the family, which unfortunately has been lost, and this might have accompanied it.

My main immediate concern though is how to preserve the photo as I can see, now I know it’s on glass, that there is some degradation - crackling and a couple of spots where the black has come off completely. I’m quite worried now I’ve cut open the backing paper that it may speed up the degradation process. What advice can you give? Should I sellotape it up again until someone can look at it?

Of course, my original idea was to take what I thought was a photo on card out of the frame, investigate if there were any clues on the back and ask your help, based on what I found there and the photo itself (of an elderly woman) for a rough date (I do have a theory about who it might be but nothing specific). Now I’ve seen the condition of the photo though I wouldn’t dare remove it from the frame in case it just fell apart; it looks as if it’s been reframed from what I can see from the backing, probably so that it could be hung as a family portrait. It’s framed in quite thick, dirty glass so not sure that with so much reflection a shot of the photo itself would be much use. What would be the best approach? Next steps?

Thanks for any help!

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Photo on glass
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 18 March 23 15:26 GMT (UK) »
It does sound like an ambrotype, they usually come with a brass mat and housed in a union case. Could you scan the image and post it on the photo board for dating?
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 18 March 23 15:39 GMT (UK) »
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 20 March 23 22:14 GMT (UK) »
Any good? I have just seen your posting.
Carol

Online Ili1133

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 20 March 23 22:50 GMT (UK) »
Yes, thanks very much (and for bumping the other post up too!). It’s given me a better idea of what to do now.

For anyone else concerned about looking after delicate photos after reading treetotal’s recommendation I found an interesting series of blogs by Lorraine Finch, a professional conservator. She gives a good overview of how to care for different types of photos.

https://lfcp.co.uk/preservation-of-photographs/

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 20 March 23 22:55 GMT (UK) »
That's a great link. I don't think she is that old, she doesn't have any teeth which is Common in photos of this age . Her hair is still dark so I would say she could be in her 40s.
Carol

Online Ili1133

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 20 March 23 23:16 GMT (UK) »
So do you see her as a ‘young old maid’? Her dress and bonnet seem quite old-fashioned (though I’m no expert on 1850s/60s) - or I suppose she could be from one of the villages rather than the market town where it was probably taken.

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 20 March 23 23:30 GMT (UK) »
The outfit is typical for the working class at that time. I know she looks older than she probably is, but her hair hasn't yet turned grey and her face isn't very wrinkly. You could google 1850s/60s ambrotype ladies portrait. I'm on the iPad so can't do so much on it.
Carol