Author Topic: Lingard, of Arclyd  (Read 314 times)

Offline Gabriel 54

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Lingard, of Arclyd
« on: Saturday 18 March 23 17:15 GMT (UK) »
I have reached what might be a natural impasse in my genealogy.
I have a William Lingard, born c 1589, who was of sufficient wealth to buy Brook house, later, I believe, called Arclyd House, in Arclyd, cheshire. He had married Elena Ber(r)ington. The first of my Lingards mentioned.

He must have been some standing in the community to marry Elena, but there seems to be little, if nothing, on him or his family prior to 1589. Can anyone assist?
Thanks,

Offline QueenoftheWest

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Lingard, of Arclyd
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 19 March 23 17:47 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to RootsChat!

I have a special interest in pre-1700 genealogy, so I thought I would take a look at this for you.

In 1910, Francis Randle Tremlow published a book titled The Tremlows Their Wives and Their Homes. There are quite a few of these books out there - where people research their own family history - and I always take them with a pinch of salt. However, they can often provide clues and hints as to the records that are available out there, so they can definitely be useful. Personally, I like to assess what primary sources I can find first, then compare it with what has been found by the researcher who wrote the book.

The book can be viewed for free on FamilySearch, and it comes with this handy little pedigree:
https://www.familysearch.org/library/books/viewer/558408/?offset=252070#page=126&viewer=picture&o=&n=0&q=

Again, I would not take this pedigree as gospel, but it does line up with what I found when reading the various wills of this family.

There are various wills and inventories that can be viewed on FindMyPast, specifically:
John Lingard, yeoman of Arclid (1592) - will
Katherine Lingard of Arclid (1608) - inv
William Lingard the younger, yeoman of Arclid (1639) - inv

The first 2 are also transcribed in the book.

The pedigree suggests that William (b.1589) was buried on 13th September 1658. There is another book titled The history of the ancient parish of Sandbach, Co. Chester, which can be viewed on Ancestry, that states that "there is also this note, probably copied from some tombstone, "Will Lingard of Arclit the elder buryed the 11 of Sept. 1658."

Queenie  :)
Fidler - West Ilsley, Berkshire
Hamlin/Hamlyn - Long Sutton & Martock, Somerset
Head - Marlborough & Alton Priors, Wiltshire
Minson - Kingstone, Somerset/Symondsbury, Dorset
Owsley - Buckland St Mary, Somerset
Pyke - (West) Weeke/Wick, Pewsey, Wiltshire
Salisbury - Dowlish Wake/West Dowlish, Somerset

Offline Gabriel 54

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 19 March 23 18:15 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for that. I actually have a copy of the Twemlow book! The other sources you mention I shall  indeed  check.  :) :). I suspect internet archives have the book you mention and will check on that!

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 21 March 23 09:25 GMT (UK) »
Do you know Williams occupation by any chance - could he have been a Draper ??
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline Gabriel 54

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 21 March 23 11:30 GMT (UK) »
I am afraid I don't know what occupation he had apart from being a yeoman. He was sufficiently wealthy to buy a moiety of the manor of Arclyd. Why do you ask?
Thanks,

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 21 March 23 18:02 GMT (UK) »
I just wondered if this may be his father
James Lingard
Born about 1570 - Congleton, Cheshire, England
Deceased
Draper

Spouses
With Elizabeth POYNTON ca 1570-
Elizabeths family were Roger of Congleton Poynton - which suggests her family had money ??

4 miles from Congleton to Arclid on aa routeplanner
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline Gabriel 54

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 22 March 23 08:03 GMT (UK) »
It seems possible as they were edging towards gentry. I shall pursue this line just to check dates and facts, but not to attach until I have a primary source or even a good secondary source. The more wealthy the more details! thanks.

I have another descent from the Taylors of Ashbourne where the early 17C and late 16C these Taylors were rich drapers and had marriages with the local gentry from 1520 until the 1580s when they were then firmly anchored into the local gentry. This was indeed the way to go up.