Author Topic: Railwaymen working on census day?  (Read 850 times)

Offline Peejay56

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Railwaymen working on census day?
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 21 March 23 12:37 GMT (UK) »
Thanks jbml. I wonder if union records may give a little info?

Offline jbml

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 21 March 23 18:02 GMT (UK) »
Union records, if they still exist, and if the union is willing to divulge them (bear in mind that trade union membership is classed as "sensitive personal data" for the purposes of the Data Protection Acts, so you're likely to meet a blanket response to enquiries of "we cannot reveal that information about anyone" ... even though it's only "personal data" of ANY description if it relates to an identifiable person still living) then it is not likely to tell you what link they worked or where they lodged on away turns ... it will be limited to their name, date of joining (and possibly leaving) and an address ... whcih may well have been updated on a "living document" basis so will only be last known address.
All identified names up to and including my great x5 grandparents: Abbot Andrews Baker Blenc(h)ow Brothers Burrows Chambers Clifton Cornwell Escott Fisher Foster Frost Giddins Groom Hardwick Harris Hart Hayho(e) Herman Holcomb(e) Holmes Hurley King-Spooner Martindale Mason Mitchell Murphy Neves Oakey Packman Palmer Peabody Pearce Pettit(t) Piper Pottenger Pound Purkis Rackliff(e) Richardson Scotford Sherman Sinden Snear Southam Spooner Stephenson Varing Weatherley Webb Whitney Wiles Wright

Offline Peejay56

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 21 March 23 20:43 GMT (UK) »
jbml. good information - thanks. Actually I'd love to know his start date, if he was in from right from the start of his working career.
Cheers.

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 07 April 23 22:04 BST (UK) »
Union records, if they still exist, and if the union is willing to divulge them (bear in mind that trade union membership is classed as "sensitive personal data" for the purposes of the Data Protection Acts, so you're likely to meet a blanket response to enquiries of "we cannot reveal that information about anyone" ... even though it's only "personal data" of ANY description if it relates to an identifiable person still living) then it is not likely to tell you what link they worked or where they lodged on away turns ... it will be limited to their name, date of joining (and possibly leaving) and an address ... whcih may well have been updated on a "living document" basis so will only be last known address.
The historic Trade Union records are held by Warwick University and are available.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline Peejay56

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 09 April 23 17:31 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that Redroger.

Offline cbowley

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 09 April 23 21:19 BST (UK) »
If it is any help, one of the main candidates for my GGF is also missing from the 1911 census. In 1916, when he married, his occupation was engine driver. In the 1921 census he was an out of work engine driver, also for the L&YR. My grandmother was born in 1910 in Bromsgrove. The candidate GGF was based in Manchester. I have speculated that working on the railways enabled him to spend time around Birmingham to meet my GGM. The other candidates were in Wales so just as far to travel but less likely to do so.
Bowley - Leicestershire/Nottinghamshire.
Cooper/Lungley - around the River Blackwater in Essex.
Austen - Kent
Haspinall - London
Judd/Perren - Wiltshire
Manfull/Thirtle/Cannell - Norfolk/Suffolk

Offline Peejay56

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 11 April 23 20:22 BST (UK) »
Thanks for sharing that cbowley, I hope you are successful with your search. Mine appears to be what they call a brick wall, and I'm not confident now of finding him.

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 14 April 23 21:57 BST (UK) »
My grandmother was born in 1910 in Bromsgrove. The candidate GGF was based in Manchester. I have speculated that working on the railways enabled him to spend time around Birmingham to meet my GGM.
Very probably, the ideal work day a digram as it is known to those who use it consists of signing on, up dating daily safety notices and then driving a train for some 3 hours to a distant point, taking a person break, food, toilet etc and then returning to home depot with another train and signing off duty.
Needless to say few diagrams meet this standard, it is frequently the case that there is and was a long blank period in the middle of the diagram at a distant point. In this case on arrival report to the supervisor and if he has nothing for you he will allow you to go off into town provided you do not drink and come back at the appropriate time.
Plenty to meet a friend or befriend a lady! Often someone who works in the staff canteen if it is a large depot, station buffet or WHSmith news stall.
At Doncaster c1910 Mr Gresley agreed to buy a pack of dominos to keep crews waiting their return train out of the pubs near the station..
So still oan ongoing problem partly addressed by the 1990 Transport and Works Act which introduced mandatory random breath tests for transport staff, failures result in dismissal plus likely prosecution.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)