Author Topic: Can I get an idea of my father’s RAF service?  (Read 404 times)

Offline nestagj

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Can I get an idea of my father’s RAF service?
« Reply #9 on: Friday 31 March 23 16:24 BST (UK) »
Hi

My dad was born in June 1924 and joined the RAF in 1941 initially as groundcrew and then transferred to the Welfare side.   I believed he sailed out to the Far East in 1941/1942; I have information about the ship he sailed at home.    He disembarked in India was there for a few months and then began an intensive Guided Tour of Burma and the Far East ending up in Saigon in 1945; he was then posted to Japan and was there until 1947 when he returned to be demobbed.   Unfortunately it took several months for his papers to catch up with him and eventually the person in charge of the RAF station he was out sent him home and said "we'll sort the paperwork out when it arrives" !

He wasn't a writer but has written a short diary which is amongst my previous possessions.

We got copies of his war record before he died but he never wanted to look at them.   I wish I had pushed a bit but I was worried about upsetting him as he was diagnosed with PTSD in 1985 but luckily got help from both the NHS (!) and the RAF Welfare service....it was a a condition that was only just being recognised at that time.

I always found it sad that history tends to forget the Forgotten Army who fought on in the Far East after May 1945 until in some cases  (like your Dad and mine) 1947. 

Nesta