Author Topic: Seeking the invisible man!  (Read 597 times)

Offline GuyMassey

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Seeking the invisible man!
« on: Monday 20 March 23 11:25 GMT (UK) »
I hope someone on here can help me to solve a mystery. I have recently come across a James Beckwith Edmonds MASSEY in the 1934 London Gazette.
I am convinced that he must be an uncle or cousin because he shares our family middle names as well as surname and occupation.
The nearest name that I have in my tree is Thomas Arthur Beckwith Edmonds MASSEY 1879-950 who was a clerk at the London Stock Exchange.
Unfortunately, try as I may, I can find no other reference to James in order to tie him in to my family. No birth, marriage, death, census, directory or stock exchange record seem to exist for him.
Could he perhaps actually be Thomas, moonlighting under a false identity? Surely there must have been some sort of check before he could form a partnership dealing in shares?
Any help or pointer would be gratefully received. Thanking folk in advance.

Pointers: Edmonds MASSEY was my Greatgrandfather, Thomas Arthur Beckwith Edmonds MASSEY was my half granduncle, Jane Elizabeth BECKWITH was Edmond's first wife's mother.

Massey (London, Woking, Teignmouth), Massie (Banff, Aberdeen - Scotland) Sullivan, O'Sullivan (Kanturk Ireland, London, Woolwich) Mactaggart (Montrose, Angus, Scotland, Singapore), Thornhill (Surrey), Lyall, Walsh, Linehan, Holland, Langton, Armstrong.

Offline GuyMassey

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Seeking the invisible man!
« Reply #1 on: Monday 20 March 23 11:59 GMT (UK) »
I hope someone on here can help me to solve a mystery. I have recently come across a James Beckwith Edmonds MASSEY in the 1934 London Gazette.
I am convinced that he must be an uncle or cousin because he shares our family middle names as well as surname and occupation.
The nearest name that I have in my tree is Thomas Arthur Beckwith Edmonds MASSEY 1879-950 who was a clerk at the London Stock Exchange.
Unfortunately, try as I may, I can find no other reference to James in order to tie him in to my family. No birth, marriage, death, census, directory or stock exchange record seem to exist for him.
Could he perhaps actually be Thomas, moonlighting under a false identity? Surely there must have been some sort of check before he could form a partnership dealing in shares?
Any help or pointer would be gratefully received. Thanking folk in advance.

Pointers: Edmonds MASSEY was my Greatgrandfather, Thomas Arthur Beckwith Edmonds MASSEY was my half granduncle, Jane Elizabeth BECKWITH was Edmond's first wife's mother.

I have now also found a partnership for Thomas Arthur Beckwith Edmonds MASSEY being dissolved in 1938, this has three of the same names as James's partnership dissolvement four years earlier! What is going on???
Massey (London, Woking, Teignmouth), Massie (Banff, Aberdeen - Scotland) Sullivan, O'Sullivan (Kanturk Ireland, London, Woolwich) Mactaggart (Montrose, Angus, Scotland, Singapore), Thornhill (Surrey), Lyall, Walsh, Linehan, Holland, Langton, Armstrong.

Offline middlesbrough

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 20 March 23 12:07 GMT (UK) »
Found an article in 1933.

T Massey, Gayton, Ellis and Co. Attended a funeral for Mr. R. A. Hoblyn.

Offline GuyMassey

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 20 March 23 14:03 GMT (UK) »
Found an article in 1933.

T Massey, Gayton, Ellis and Co. Attended a funeral for Mr. R. A. Hoblyn.

Thank you, what publication was that article in please?
Not to worry, I have found it. It looks like H. Hoblyn was R.A. Hoblyn's brother who died as a result of a motor accident..  Interesting but unfortunately it does not help me find the elusive James Massey

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 20 March 23 15:23 GMT (UK) »
Is that the snippet dated 8th September 1933?
I see no mention of ‘funeral’ but it is a list of names ‘Brethren of the Lodge of Pilg…’

Whilst not finding your elusive James, it does link Thomas to the firm, Gayton, Ellis and Co. At that time.

Perhaps he was going by another name. Was he married? Any children/stepchildren?

Added
Had Thomas retired from the Stock Exchange?
Does his will give any information about his life?
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 20 March 23 15:33 GMT (UK) »
One partnership was dissolved in 1930 for the same company on the retirement of Everitt Hugh Gayton.

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 20 March 23 15:50 GMT (UK) »
"James" must be Thomas. Thomas was one of the partners in Gayton Ellis & Co.

https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/33604/page/2911
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 20 March 23 16:50 GMT (UK) »
I have seen transcription errors for Thomas/James but it does seem odd in the instance you have.
However, I agree with Shaun that it must be the same man.

Where do you have Thomas as a ‘clerk’?

Here he is in 1911 as a ‘Member of the Stock Exchange’.
https://www.familysearch.org/search/ark:/61903/1:1:X721-H2F

I think this is very different than being a clerk. (I googled it as I know nothing of the S E).

Offline GuyMassey

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 20 March 23 18:31 GMT (UK) »
Thomas is referred to as a Clerk throughout his association with the Stock Exchange. His father Edmonds was a "Stock Jobber" meaning he carried his clients risks.  He married Hylda Florence Snow in 1917 at St. George's, Hannover Square, London. He died 21 October 1950. I do not have his Will yet.

I should add that I do have his Probate record