Author Topic: Seeking the invisible man!  (Read 598 times)

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Seeking the invisible man!
« Reply #9 on: Monday 20 March 23 19:06 GMT (UK) »
By 1911 though, he is a Member of the Stock Exchange which seems a different title :-\

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline GuyMassey

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 20 March 23 21:56 GMT (UK) »
And all the subsequent years he is a Clerk. Maybe a clerk is a member?
Massey (London, Woking, Teignmouth), Massie (Banff, Aberdeen - Scotland) Sullivan, O'Sullivan (Kanturk Ireland, London, Woolwich) Mactaggart (Montrose, Angus, Scotland, Singapore), Thornhill (Surrey), Lyall, Walsh, Linehan, Holland, Langton, Armstrong.

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 20 March 23 23:13 GMT (UK) »
Your post shows an application to be re-elected as a member of the Stock Exchange.
There is a section ‘I am engaged in partnership with’. In the one you posted it is blank.

What do the ones for 1930s show?

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile

Offline GuyMassey

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 21 March 23 14:18 GMT (UK) »
I can't access any Stock Exchange records after 1922 for him unfortunately. The Stock Exchange history that you posted is fascinating, thank you for that. Most of Edmond's children from his first marriage were involved with the Stock Market, as were many of their close friends, so it was interesting to read "Many candidates had strong ties to existing stockbrokers or stockjobbers who might be their brothers, fathers or uncles...."
I am rapidly coming to the view that the James in my first post was in fact Thomas, so I assume that it is a misprint in The London Gazette.
Thank you everyone for your input.  ;D
Massey (London, Woking, Teignmouth), Massie (Banff, Aberdeen - Scotland) Sullivan, O'Sullivan (Kanturk Ireland, London, Woolwich) Mactaggart (Montrose, Angus, Scotland, Singapore), Thornhill (Surrey), Lyall, Walsh, Linehan, Holland, Langton, Armstrong.