Author Topic: 1921 Census England - order of the returns  (Read 393 times)

Offline candleflame

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
1921 Census England - order of the returns
« on: Monday 20 March 23 12:54 GMT (UK) »
Just after opinions please not look up.
On the 1921, what is your opinion about the order of the returns we can view. I’ve read the FindMyPast pages about how the census was done and it says
’ we think that the enumerators sorted the census schedules into a tidy and sensible order and numbered them in the Schedule Number box on the back of the form. ‘
My question arose from a street where the houses are named houses not numbered ones and I was wondering if eg Avalon was next to Ravenscroft House and so on. Did the enumerator put them in-house order as being a ‘tidy and sensible order. ‘
On the 1911 especially the summary books, it was great as you could see mostly which house was next to each other. That’s fine if the house in the 1921 was also on the 1911 and then you can track forward onto the 1921, but one street I was looking at the houses weren’t built until just after WW1.
Thanks.
North East of England

Offline Andy J2022

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: 1921 Census England - order of the returns
« Reply #1 on: Monday 20 March 23 14:02 GMT (UK) »
It would seem to me that there are only two sensible options for ordering the returns in the schedule: cadastrally or alphabetically. I can see no reason why an alphabetical order would assist an enumerator do his job, so my money would be on a cadastral sort, that is, in the order in which the houses were arranged geographically. Have you tried comparing the details you have with the 1939 Register which was cadastrally ordered? 

Offline candleflame

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 20 March 23 19:16 GMT (UK) »
It would seem to me that there are only two sensible options for ordering the returns in the schedule: cadestrally or alphabetically. I can see no reason why an alphabetical order would assist an enumerator do his job, so my money would be on a cadestral sort, that is, in the order in which the houses were arranged geographically. Have you tried comparing the details you have with the 1939 Register which was cadestrally ordered?

Thanks Andy. You always learn something new on RC and the word ‘ cadestrally’ is a new one for me!
North East of England

Offline Andy J2022

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 20 March 23 19:57 GMT (UK) »
I first came across the word a few years ago in a book on researching electoral registers. More on its origins here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cadastre

Offline garden genie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 20 March 23 20:38 GMT (UK) »
A geographic order would make sense but always bear in mind that enumerators, superintendants, filing clerks and even camera operators are only human. I recently looked at a nearby short terrace of three houses. No 1 and no 3 were amongst the other local cottages. No 2 was many pages away in the main village. I reckon someone dropped a piece of paper and put it back in the wrong place!

Offline candleflame

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 21 March 23 09:22 GMT (UK) »
On an address search of a known area only , eg one parish, the street names are alphabetical but the schedule numbers end up  ' out of order', so I'm going to do a list of schedule numbers and see what I end up with .
North East of England