Author Topic: Help when did my great aunt arrive in South Africa ?  (Read 302 times)

Offline elinga

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My mum and dad circa 1946
    • View Profile
Help when did my great aunt arrive in South Africa ?
« on: Monday 20 March 23 13:15 GMT (UK) »
greetings fellow genies...

after many years I have decided  to try and find out (again) when my great aunt Margaret Alexander McCrory immigrated to South Africa (Pietermaritzburg) !
she was born in Irvine Ayrshire Scotland on 6th September in 1887 , but in some documents it says 1889 .
she married Albert Coutts 30th September in  1910 , her name on the marriage certificate was Marguerita Alexandra Macrorie in Pietermaritzburg, Natal, South Africa, (gained from Familysearch) !
she worked at Greys Hospital in Pietermaritzburg as a nurse when she went to South Africa and lived with her older sister Nellie McCrory , but I dont know who arrived first.
but I know Nellie arrived in South Africa in 1900 as I found her arrival information on eggsa!
I have a lot of information regarding Maggies , (who was known to her SA family as Peggy) time in SA including children death and even her return trip to Scotland in May of 1911 to give birth to her twins , but sadly they both died in August .
she stayed in Scotland until 27th September when she sailed back to South Africa :-(
so when she went to SA is still a mystery at least to me , I feel I have exhausted my search using all different spelling possibilities !

any help would be greatly appreciated !
regards Elinga
Everyday is a school day !!!!

McCrory/McCrorie Orr and McCafferty , Northern Ireland
Orr, Adair, McCafferty,McCrorie and McCrory, Millar,Strachan, Lewis,Linn, Arnott, Scott,Kerr,McKinnon , Jeffrey or Jaffrey,Lambie, Findlay and Meechan Ayrshire Scotland.

Offline Gillian Mauchan

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Eliza Warr c 1900 Found her she lied about her age
    • View Profile
Re: Help when did my great aunt arrive in South Africa ?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 22 March 23 08:20 GMT (UK) »
There is this record on Ancestry
Detail Source
Name:   Mrs M A Coutts
Port of Departure:   London, England (on the image East London, South Africa)
Arrival Date:   3 Nov 1910
Port of Arrival:   Southampton, England
Ports of Voyage:   Durban [Natal]; East London; Port Elizabeth [Algoa Bay]; Cape Town; St Helena; Ascension; Las Palmas and Tenerife
Ship Name:   Galician
Shipping Line:   Union-Castle Mail Steamship Company Ltd
Official Number:   113334

WARR, MAUCHAN, GOWANS,Guest,Whitcomb. Taute, Webb,Pascual

Offline pampoen

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 22 March 23 12:18 GMT (UK) »
Not sure if you have seen her gravestone https://www.graves-at-eggsa.org/main.php?g2_itemId=755248
Austin, Ayling, Alborough, Bescoby, Cheal, Groom,Rathbone,Tarboton,Lyell and Smith.

Offline elinga

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 22 March 23 16:09 GMT (UK) »
Gillian Mauchan thanx for your help !
I hadnt seen this as I was looking for an earlier date !
she married Albert Coutts on 30 Sep 1910 in Pietermaritzburg and if that is her on information you have given on the 3 Nov 1910 ...I wonder    !!!!!!!!!
she had her twins in Scotland in May 1911, but by August 1911 , they both had died !
on another listing on ancestry there is an A Coutts traveling to Southampton on the 15 Jul 1911 .
I know she traveled back to SA on the 27th September 1911, , so dont know if A Coutts is her husband or not !
its all a mystery !
regards Elinga

Orr, Adair, McCafferty,McCrorie and McCrory, Millar,Strachan, Lewis,Linn, Arnott, Scott,Kerr,McKinnon , Jeffrey or Jaffrey,Lambie, Findlay and Meechan Ayrshire Scotland.

Offline elinga

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Help when did my great aunt arrive in South Africa ?
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 22 March 23 16:11 GMT (UK) »
Pampoen, yes I have that thank you and her husband Alberts and most information of the family in SA !