Author Topic: Dewney or Downey of Fareham  (Read 174 times)

Offline Graser5

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Dewney or Downey of Fareham
« on: Monday 20 March 23 18:44 GMT (UK) »
Looking for two (probably) related women: the first one - married in Fareham 4 May 1742 to Saunders Guyer (possibly the shipwright (1705-1798) - was a Mary Downey (Dunwey/Duwney).  The second is a woman - Elizabeth Guyer (putative daughter of the above Saunders & Mary) who married Samuel Tyler 24 Sept 1764 at St. Alphege in Greenwich - - and one of the witnesses at that marriage was one "Elizabeth Dewnly".   Has to be a cousin or an aunt?  The Guyers were shipwrights so a Portsea/Deptford connection is highly likely.

Here's my problem: I cannot find Downey/Dewnly/Dunwey/Duwney surnames in Fareham in the 1710-1765 timeframe.  Any thoughts/suggestions would be appreciated.
Graser Meidel Reinig Stoehr Waldbock Stadler
Stroh Bach Tyler Marriott Tilley Spence Smith Fudge Gilbert Taylor Winsor Zeitz Fueller Schenk Weigand Haupt
McKay Sweeney Gibney O'Shea Jamieson McAlinden Miskell Casey McMichael (Carmichael) Smith McMurray Devlin

Online QueenoftheWest

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Dewney or Downey of Fareham
« Reply #1 on: Monday 20 March 23 19:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Looking at the original images of the parish registers:

Saunders Guyer married Mary Dawney.
The witness to the marriage of Elizabeth doesn't really look like Dewnly to me ??? It looks more like ?ownly. I can't tell what the first letter is. I would add a snippet to this thread but the look up boards don't allow attachments.

What specifically makes you think Elizabeth is the daughter of Saunders and Mary?

Queenie  :)
Fidler - West Ilsley, Berkshire
Hamlin/Hamlyn - Long Sutton & Martock, Somerset
Head - Marlborough & Alton Priors, Wiltshire
Minson - Kingstone, Somerset/Symondsbury, Dorset
Owsley - Buckland St Mary, Somerset
Pyke - (West) Weeke/Wick, Pewsey, Wiltshire
Salisbury - Dowlish Wake/West Dowlish, Somerset

Offline Graser5

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Dewney or Downey of Fareham
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 21 March 23 03:17 GMT (UK) »
Sanders Guyer (1705-1798) born Yarmouth,  a shipwright, is in Woolwich by about 1730 for the birth of his son, Sanders Guyer (1730?-1800) by his first wife Elizabeth Wabel (b. about 1709 Holy Rood, married 1728 in Southampton).  There are possibly two other children via this first wife.  The younger Sanders was born in Woolwich in 1730.  I am positing that A) Elizabeth died before 1742 and that she either died in childbirth giving birth to Elizabeth Guyer (later wife of Samuel Tyler). Then, the elder Sanders Guyer is noted as marrying a second time to this Mary Downley in Fareham in 1742 so B) it is possible that he named his firstborn daughter with Mary Downley "Elizabeth" after his departed wife Elizabeth Wabel  So, what I was looking for was an Elizabeth Guyer, spinster, resident of St. Alphege, Greenwich, who would have been born in about the 1740-1747 timeframe and married in 1765 and the witness to the 1765 marriage of Samuel Tyler and Elizabeth Guyer is named Elizabeth Downley (?).  I am seeing multiple Downley (& variants) women (one married to Saunders the elder) - - and one witnessing a younger Guywer woman's marriage, and Downey (& variants) is a rare surname in Kent and so the solid lead I did have was a marriage in Fareham of that Mary
 to Saunders in 1745.  But I am not finding Downey variants in Fareham, either.    I did look closely at the witness name (magnified and also contrast enhanced) and it is definitely "D".  The lower case "o" does look like an "e" or even an "a", and that letter toward the end is is either an undersized lower case "l" or an oversized lower case "e".   So, Hampshire is where I need the help to see if I can find out who that witness Elizabeth Downey is and how she is related to Elizabeth Guyer.   I suspect that all the variants in spelling might be the result of some West Country accents being phonetically represented.  And so I guess I am also looking for phonetically similar variants in Hampshire.
Graser Meidel Reinig Stoehr Waldbock Stadler
Stroh Bach Tyler Marriott Tilley Spence Smith Fudge Gilbert Taylor Winsor Zeitz Fueller Schenk Weigand Haupt
McKay Sweeney Gibney O'Shea Jamieson McAlinden Miskell Casey McMichael (Carmichael) Smith McMurray Devlin