Author Topic: Liverpool jute works. HELP!  (Read 3179 times)

Offline gillbill

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Liverpool jute works. HELP!
« on: Thursday 08 September 05 00:28 BST (UK) »
I am still looking for Wm. Henry Sulis born abt.1882.  I have found in a 1918 Directory he is a Director of Robert Davie, Senior & Co Ltd & was so until his death in 1965.

The works was a jute / rope makers.  Can anybody tell me where it was, if it still exists, anything that will help build a picture of my Great Uncle.  Where am I likely to find any records of employees, where it traded etc?

gillbill

Offline Biker

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Liverpool jute works. HELP!
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 08 September 05 00:44 BST (UK) »
Hello

I just had a quick peek, but saw some interesting stuff about the company and Mr Sulis here http://www.gazettes-online.co.uk/archiveSearch.asp?WebType=0&Referer=full in the London Gazette.

Regards
Jonathan
Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline andrewalston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My granddad
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 12 September 05 09:13 BST (UK) »
Gore's trade directory ( www.historicaldirectories.org ) has them at 14 Fenwick Court, Brunswick St (probably offices), works at Vauxhall Rd and Midgehall St.
Looking at ALSTON in south Ribble area, ALSTEAD and DONBAVAND/DUNBABIN etc. everywhere, HOWCROFT and MARSH in Bolton and Westhoughton, PICKERING in the Whitehaven area.

Census information is Crown Copyright. See www.nationalarchives.gov.uk for details.

Offline SteVP

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 06 October 10 00:11 BST (UK) »
I've joined RootsChat as my grandfather was also a director of this company, handling their accounts, and I've just Googled it from curiosity. His name was James Albert Ryder. He retired circa 1961 and died shortly afterwards, unfortunately during my boyhood.

I was brought up in my grandparents' home, and I do seem to remember him referring to a Mr Sullis on occasion, though I'm afraid my mother's and grandfather's work conversation when they got home caused me to instantly switch off.

My grandfather used to be given a lift home from work by a Mr Wink, or someone he referred to as Wink, possibly a nickname? My grandfather's brother, Jack Ryder, was in charge of Robert Davie Seniors works, though I only met him briefly once.
Ryder (Manchester); Rouse (Middlesex); Johnson (Manchester); Tinsley (Liverpool); Gibson (Liverpool + Glasgow); Gee (Lancashire); Paterson (Glasgow); Pemberton (Shropshire and Denbighshire).

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 06 October 10 06:51 BST (UK) »
I am still looking for Wm. Henry Sulis born abt.1882.  I have found in a 1918 Directory he is a Director of Robert Davie, Senior & Co Ltd & was so until his death in 1965.

The works was a jute / rope makers.  Can anybody tell me where it was, if it still exists, anything that will help build a picture of my Great Uncle.  Where am I likely to find any records of employees, where it traded etc?

gillbill
Hiya Gillbill...re William Henry Sulis
b dec qtr 1882 - registered Toxteth Park,Liverpool , on www.freebmd.org.uk )
married 1908 in St Mary and St Helen church,Neston(the Wirral ) to Ellen Jane Fleming (www.cheshirebmd.org.uk )
one daughter b 1911
one son b 1916 ( both born on the Wirral )
allan :)
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline SteVP

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 02 May 13 18:25 BST (UK) »
Since my earlier response, I have come across an old accounts book belonging to my grandfather. It contains little but a list of names, which I think were his fellow company directors. These are G.Coker; RP Davie; W Evans; JS Meikle;  and WH Tulis [or Sulis?].

Liverpool archives have some records of WWII bomb damage at the firm.
Ryder (Manchester); Rouse (Middlesex); Johnson (Manchester); Tinsley (Liverpool); Gibson (Liverpool + Glasgow); Gee (Lancashire); Paterson (Glasgow); Pemberton (Shropshire and Denbighshire).

Offline gillbill

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 02 May 13 23:07 BST (UK) »
Thanks SteVP -I will go and see what they have as soon as I get a chance. The name in your Grandfather's book could well be my WH Sulis -census have spelt it Lulis, Tulis, Salis etc.
Cheers gillbill

Offline genesearcher

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 29 September 15 13:18 BST (UK) »
Would any of you happen to know of, or perhaps have records which could identify and Italian manager/supervisor/foreman/warehouseman that worked at your company sometime between 1910 and 1940?

Also, the Sulis family can be searched very easily on Find My Past back to 1849 to a mariner named William Henry Sulis. In the 1901 census William Henry Sulis the company director's father is given as William James Sulis, American Vice & Deputy Consul.

Any help with the mysterious Italian would be very helpful.

Offline Lesmgood

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 15 March 19 23:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi - my name is Leslie Davie, I am Robert Davie’s daughter.  He had the jute business in Liverpool.  I was only young but I remember Bill and Susan Sulis who lived on Melos Drive near Royal Liverpool Golf Club