Author Topic: Admon conundrum  (Read 420 times)

Offline pinefamily

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Big sister with baby brother
    • View Profile
Admon conundrum
« on: Tuesday 21 March 23 02:03 GMT (UK) »
Hello fellow Rootschatters,
I have a conundrum with a 1745 admon that I'd like opinions, advice and thoughts on.
The admon is for a John Dowdeswell, dated 11 May 1745. In two places on the document it reads, "John Dowdeswell of Sedgeberrow, minor intestate deceased". John's father, Thomas of Temple Guiting, was appointed administrator, and Charles Parker of Ashchurch and Thomas Clark of St Michael Bedwardine were named as being bound for the twenty pounds fee.
Thomas Dowdeswell had several children, baptised in Ashchurch, Bishops Cleve and Sedgeberrow. And this is where my confusion starts. He had a son John baptized in 1707, who was buried in 1714 in Sedgeberrow. Another John was baptized in Sedgeberrow in 1718. I cannot find another John baptized in Sedgeberrow, or anywhere else, the son of Thomas. The term minor would mean under 21, whereas the 1718 John would be 27 in 1745. Additionally, I am almost certain the 1718 John married in Sep 1745 in Gloucester, described as "of Ashchurch", given naming patterns of his children.
A minor dying intestate would have to be at least 14 or 15 you would think, working or at least in an apprenticeship to make the admon application worthwhile.
Given the coincidence of the admon and the marriage both in 1745, I had considered whether it was a con job, to wipe any debts before John was married. I think it unlikely, but given Charles Parker above was Thomas' son-in-law, it is a possibility. What sort of proof would have been required to apply for an admon?
I have checked records online, and had the Worcestershire Archives do a search on my behalf, but no other John Dowdeswell baptisms can be found, with a father Thomas, in the right time frame in either Worcestershire or Gloucestershire.
I will be very glad of others' thoughts.
I am Australian, from all the lands I come (my ancestors, at least!)

Pine/Pyne, Dowdeswell, Kempster, Sando/Sandoe/Sandow, Nancarrow, Hounslow, Youatt, Richardson, Jarmyn, Oxlade, Coad, Kelsey, Crampton, Lindner, Pittaway, and too many others to name.
Devon, Dorset, Gloucs, Cornwall, Warwickshire, Bucks, Oxfordshire, Wilts, Germany, Sweden, and of course London, to name a few.

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Admon conundrum
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 21 March 23 09:13 GMT (UK) »
Perhaps there was an asset that had belonged legally to the child that died in 1714 and that needed to be liquidated or conveyed to a new owner in 1745.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline pinefamily

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 21 March 23 14:53 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the suggestion, Shaun. I suppose the 7 year old could have been left a bequest. I will have to go back through a couple of wills to check for any bequests.

Pine/Pyne, Dowdeswell, Kempster, Sando/Sandoe/Sandow, Nancarrow, Hounslow, Youatt, Richardson, Jarmyn, Oxlade, Coad, Kelsey, Crampton, Lindner, Pittaway, and too many others to name.
Devon, Dorset, Gloucs, Cornwall, Warwickshire, Bucks, Oxfordshire, Wilts, Germany, Sweden, and of course London, to name a few.

Offline pinefamily

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 22 March 23 00:25 GMT (UK) »
I have gone through the only two Dowdeswell wills that were written in the correct time frame.
Anthony Dowdeswell's will of 1710 left 10 pounds to his great nephew, John Dowdeswell, son of Thomas.
I waded through all 15 pages of great uncle Thomas Dowdeswell's will, only to find it was written 4th March 1715 in our chronology.
I would not have thought 10 pounds was worth applying for admon 35 years later, especially as the father Thomas had to pay 20 pound in bond.

Added: I just looked at John Dowdeswell's maternal grandparents for bequests. His maternal grandfather's will wasn't written until 1728.

Offline pinefamily

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 26 March 23 05:48 BST (UK) »
As well as the coincidence of John Dowdeswell of Ashchurch marrying Elizabeth Carpenter in 1745, I have a Jonathan Dowdeswell buried in Newington Surrey in 1745 who I cannot match a baptism.
Could this Jonathan be a son of Thomas? And if this Jonathan was buried in Newington, and is the John of the above admon, would he still be described as "of Sedgeberrow"?