Author Topic: SCARESBROOK/STACEY marriage Q4 1902  (Read 562 times)

Offline Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: SCARESBROOK/STACEY marriage Q4 1902
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 21 March 23 22:03 GMT (UK) »

Offline ValJJJ

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 21 March 23 22:13 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Mabel Bagshawe. 

He's the only Scaresbrook preacher I've come across so yes, I would say so.  I shall have to explore more of the Cardiff Times, and the keyword Wycliffe Preachers on the BNA.  Who would have thought they were so unpopular.
Crook, Bannister, Warren

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 21 March 23 22:16 GMT (UK) »
Another question - how do registry office marriages appear in this marriage locator?

They don't!
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline ValJJJ

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 21 March 23 22:22 GMT (UK) »
 A silly question  ;D
Crook, Bannister, Warren

Offline softly softly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 22 March 23 11:53 GMT (UK) »
A silly question  ;D

No questions are ever silly, they sometimes lead to an unexpected lead.

John

Offline Pinetree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 22 March 23 16:40 GMT (UK) »
The wedding seems to appear in the Uxbridge & W. Drayton Gazette - 20 December 1902.  Frustratingly I don't think the search took me to the right page of the newspaper.  This is what search result looked like:

"Wednesday attern eca between Miss Martha ritaceyeecond daughter of Mr. Frederick Stacey. of Mead Road, U l . bridge. and Mr. Charles ticereshrook Waterloo Road. Uxbridge. The orrenony was performed by the Rev. Corry. of Haye k The bride was gives. away"

On page 5 of the Middlesex & Buckinghamshire Advertiser of the same date there is a snippet about a gift given to Martha on the occasion of her marriage by the Sunday school.  The search attributes this to Uxbridge & W. Drayton Gazette - London, London, England as well but the actual newspaper in the scan is as the advertiser as stated above.

Something a bit amiss with the searches and the scans I think.

Anyway BNA may be better so hopefully this is enough to take you to the right newspaper/article using that search facility.

Good luck,

Pinetree

P.S FOUND IT - page 8 of the Middlesex & Buckinghamshire Advertiser - Wedding at Uxbridge, The Old Meeting House - last Wednesday so 17 December 1902!  If you need anymore just let me know.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ValJJJ

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 22 March 23 20:21 GMT (UK) »
A silly question  ;D

No questions are ever silly, they sometimes lead to an unexpected lead.

John

Very kind.
Crook, Bannister, Warren

Offline ValJJJ

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 22 March 23 20:40 GMT (UK) »
Pinetree thanks so much.

Now I have the date, and, as predicted, it was a non-conformist church - in fact a Congregational church.  A 12 June 1936 article in the same newspaper gives a brief history on p10. The OCR is better for this article:

"OLD MEETING HOUSE
Its Early History
INTERESTING RECORD OF RELIGIOUS PROGRESS
Old Meeting House Congregational Church, Uxbridge, this year celebrates its two hundred and twentieth anniversary, and a few facts relative to its history, which have been prepared by Mrs. F. Tayler, of Wellington-road, Uxbridge, will be read with interest. The history of the church commences in the days of persecution for religious faith to the time when one enjoys full liberty of conscience. The church dates back years, but it was not until 17:6 [1716] that the present building was erected. The earliest records of the origin of the denomination date from :662 [1662], when the Act of Uniformity was passed requiring conformity to the forms, doctrines and ritual of the Established Church. Under this Act two thousand ministers gave up churches, glebes and emoluments. It was then that Puritanism developed into Nonconformity and dissent from the Church of England took place. There were two branches, Independents and Presbyterians. Each section had slightly different ideas as to church government. The two thousand ministers were almost equally divided on this question..."

I also find that BNA search results can send you to the wrong page, and invariably the info is on the previous page and near the crease.  Must be a quirk of scanning and possibly some overlap occurs with the adjoining page.

Thanks to your work, I've found both articles via BNA, and similarly to your search, the newspaper in the result has a different title to the original.  I've noticed this before and think they use the latest name of a paper since they changed hands and names often and their titles evolved.  I guess they go to the head office of a newspaper now, and scan their archives that'll include previous incarnations.  You can see why they changed the names with them being so long-winded.  Middlesex and Buckinghamshire Advertiser, Uxbridge, Harrow and Watford Journal doesn't really roll off the tongue does it?  Presumably an amalgamation of the Advertiser and the Journal at some point, before they split, or shrank, to became the Uxbridge and W Drayton Gazette and ditched their readership from the other areas.

Thanks once again for everyone's help and for Pinetree nailing the details for me.
Crook, Bannister, Warren

Offline Pinetree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 22 March 23 21:22 GMT (UK) »
Glad to be able to help.

Pinetree
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk