Author Topic: Roman Catholic burials Newcastle 1910 St. Augustine  (Read 381 times)

Offline OurAncestors

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Roman Catholic burials Newcastle 1910 St. Augustine
« on: Tuesday 21 March 23 20:10 GMT (UK) »
I found a cemetery record for one of my ancestors who died in Newcastle Workhouse Infirmary in 1910. He was Charles Graham and his burial was listed in the register of burials in St. John and Elswick.
I found the microfiche in Tyne and Wear archives
The location of the burial is St. Augustine. I checked and apparently there was a St. Augustine on Brighton Grove, which would have been the local church to the workhouse. I am not expecting to find a headstone or memorial as none of the other members of that branch of the family left any trace, but I would like to see where he may have ended up and see if there is anything he wants to communicate. I see I may need to the local studies in City Library. Do you know if St. Augustine had a Cemetery or was  that was where the funeral was done or priest from?
Johnson, Coleman, Graham, Dixon, Thewlis

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Roman Catholic burials Newcastle 1910 St. Augustine
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 21 March 23 20:42 GMT (UK) »
I have never heard of this microfiche before. Are you saying there is a microfiche showing where workhouse burials were?
This is interesting as I know someone who is trying to find the burial of their ancestor who died in the workhouse 1906 and I have been helping but so far burial find has been elusive around local cemeteries.

I wonder if your ancestor might have been buried at Elswick Cemetery but removed from (that is body taken from) St Augustine's Parish?  If so, Elswick Cemetery burial records are at the Newcastle local studies and this is easier to access than Tyne and Wear Archives, with their booking systems at the moment.
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 22 March 23 09:53 GMT (UK) »
If his burial is entered in the register of St John and Elswick then that is where he is buried.

You need to look at the column headings on the record, I suspect that RTL is correct and the record is showing that the death occurred in the parish of St Augustine and the body would have been removed from there to St John and Elswick for burial..

What is the section and grave number for the burial? There is a chance that there may have been family members in the same plot. The grave registers are a pain to look through but I have a spreadsheet that narrows down which film it may be on and am happy to look if you'd like.

NB though he died in the Workhouse Infirmary, the grave may still have been a private one, not everyone who was in the workhouse infirmary was destitute, it was the main source of healthcare for the majority of people.

Boo

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 22 March 23 10:46 GMT (UK) »
I wondered about the RC burials in the heading.
1 There is only one Charles Graham I can see whose death was registered in 1910 Newcastle, he was aged 61

2 It would seem that this is fairly likely to be his 'funeral' (NB not burial) record indexed on Family Search
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:JZPZ-JXQ

The document info on that page shows this was indexed from film no 1936954 and looking that up in the catalogue on FS shows that was the funeral register for St Mary RC Clayton St., Newcastle.

Discrepancy
that funeral record gives a date of 24th June, the death was registered in Q3. ? perhaps a transcription error on the record OR there may have been an inquest and the coroner gave permission for the burial to go ahead prior to him completing the inquest and registering the death.

If this sounds like your man then look at your copy of the burial record the info on there (read it in relation to what the column headings say)

It should give a date of burial - which would narrow the time frame to see IF there was a notice in the newspaper,

Whether it was in a consecrated ( C of E) or non consecrated section and the plot number. - that will help us to look and and see if there are any other family members in the same grave (can happen even if burial rights not purchased)

Boo

Offline OurAncestors

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 22 March 23 12:07 GMT (UK) »
I have never heard of this microfiche before. Are you saying there is a microfiche showing where workhouse burials were?
This is interesting as I know someone who is trying to find the burial of their ancestor who died in the workhouse 1906 and I have been helping but so far burial find has been elusive around local cemeteries.

I wonder if your ancestor might have been buried at Elswick Cemetery but removed from (that is body taken from) St Augustine's Parish?  If so, Elswick Cemetery burial records are at the Newcastle local studies and this is easier to access than Tyne and Wear Archives, with their booking systems at the moment.

Yes there is a microfiche of cemetery records of st. john and elswick, at TWAS.
 I asked how I would find where my ancestor was buried and he passed away on Westgate Road in 1910.
I do have his dc so I knew I had the correct entry.
 I was directed to that microfiche. Due to the location of the workhouse,  I noticed quite a few died in the workhouse, listed on that register.  I did not see any grave plot numbers.
The microfiche  is hard for me to use because I get too much pain in my neck with musculoskeletal problems.
 I had already sat there looking at the baptism records for St Dominics before I turned my attention to Charles cemetery search, my neck was seizing up a bit, maybe I missed something important.

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 22 March 23 12:24 GMT (UK) »
Could you tell me please (just a terminology thing but its puzzling me)
you said this is 'microfiche'
Is that a small rectangular sheet,  fiche that fits under the glass on a fiche reader
or is it a reel of "microfilm" ?

Boo

Offline OurAncestors

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 22 March 23 12:32 GMT (UK) »
If his burial is entered in the register of St John and Elswick then that is where he is buried.

You need to look at the column headings on the record, I suspect that RTL is correct and the record is showing that the death occurred in the parish of St Augustine and the body would have been removed from there to St John and Elswick for burial..

What is the section and grave number for the burial? There is a chance that there may have been family members in the same plot. The grave registers are a pain to look through but I have a spreadsheet that narrows down which film it may be on and am happy to look if you'd like.

NB though he died in the Workhouse Infirmary, the grave may still have been a private one, not everyone who was in the workhouse infirmary was destitute, it was the main source of healthcare for the majority of people.

Boo

I did not see anything like that on the entry, it was a single row, name of person, date of burial, where died, unconsecrated ? (yes), place of burial, who performed burial, I do have a copy of that name but I cannot read it.
Charles was a general labourer from Ireland and I am assuming  he had no assets. He was a first generation  immigrant. In 1901 he was living  at 33 Duke Street, and the census enumerator had his occupation was what looks like "navvy" tho what that entailed is not  clear. His wife Mary Ann died in 1913.

Yes his date of death was 4 days before the burial but I assume this was because the workhouse wanted to ascertain how and why he died? Or maybe a waiting list for the funeral?

Microfiche, yes, a roll of micro film passed through a glass rectangle is projected onto a screen in a fixed box like an old fashioned computer terminal.

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 22 March 23 12:39 GMT (UK) »
Microfiche, yes, a roll of film passed through a glass rectangle is projected onto a screen in a fixed box like an old fashioned computer terminal.

ahh yes, I'd know that as a "microfilm', they are kept in small boxes in the filing cabinets in the search room to be used on the dedicated film readers.
I think the term 'microfiche' confused RTL too as they are small individual sheets rather than a reel.

Sorry to be pernicketty, but I think both RTL and I were wondering if TWAS had an additional resource we were not aware of.

Boo

Offline OurAncestors

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 22 March 23 13:32 GMT (UK) »
I wondered about the RC burials in the heading.
1 There is only one Charles Graham I can see whose death was registered in 1910 Newcastle, he was aged 61

2 It would seem that this is fairly likely to be his 'funeral' (NB not burial) record indexed on Family Search
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:JZPZ-JXQ

The document info on that page shows this was indexed from film no 1936954 and looking that up in the catalogue on FS shows that was the funeral register for St Mary RC Clayton St., Newcastle.

Discrepancy
that funeral record gives a date of 24th June, the death was registered in Q3. ? perhaps a transcription error on the record OR there may have been an inquest and the coroner gave permission for the burial to go ahead prior to him completing the inquest and registering the death.

If this sounds like your man then look at your copy of the burial record the info on there (read it in relation to what the column headings say)

It should give a date of burial - which would narrow the time frame to see IF there was a notice in the newspaper,

Whether it was in a consecrated ( C of E) or non consecrated section and the plot number. - that will help us to look and and see if there are any other family members in the same grave (can happen even if burial rights not purchased)

Boo

Yes this is he. It makes sense that he would have had a funeral at St. Mary's as that was the nearest church to his actual home and where he got married to Mary Anne.