Author Topic: Roman Catholic burials Newcastle 1910 St. Augustine  (Read 380 times)

Offline OurAncestors

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Roman Catholic burials Newcastle 1910 St. Augustine
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 22 March 23 13:35 GMT (UK) »
Microfiche, yes, a roll of film passed through a glass rectangle is projected onto a screen in a fixed box like an old fashioned computer terminal.

ahh yes, I'd know that as a "microfilm', they are kept in small boxes in the filing cabinets in the search room to be used on the dedicated film readers.
I think the term 'microfiche' confused RTL too as they are small individual sheets rather than a reel.

Sorry to be pernicketty, but I think both RTL and I were wondering if TWAS had an additional resource we were not aware of.

Boo

I see. I havent used these devices much and I was not aware of the different meanings to these 2 terms.  Thank you for clarifying.
Johnson, Coleman, Graham, Dixon, Thewlis

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Roman Catholic burials Newcastle 1910 St. Augustine
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 23 March 23 08:44 GMT (UK) »
Just to say you were exactly right Boo, I did think Our Ancestors had found an additional resource I had not heard of.
I do of course know of the microfilms at the archives but much prefer microfilms to microfiche anyway.
I daresay it will be easy to get the two confused if not familiar with the terms.  I didn't know either when first got into this hobby.
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner