Author Topic: David THOMAS  (Read 1174 times)

Offline Chrissie46

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: David THOMAS
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 25 March 23 02:30 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks everyone for your assistance.  I have ordered the Marriage Certificate.  My daughter lives in Scotland, so I am having it sent to her, so that she can scan it and email it to me.  Most probably take about 4 weeks they said.  I will keep you posted.  Chrissie46.
Jenkins - Jones - Thomas - Owen - Matthews - Edwards in Glamorgan Wales.
Howe - Johnson - Morley - in Soham England.

Offline Chrissie46

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 30 April 23 07:46 BST (UK) »
Hello everyone, back on the air from OZ.  The 2 marriage certificates arrived at my daughters place in Scotland, she took photos and emailed them to me.  Thomas Thomas was married twice, first to Jane Owen on 3rd April 1859, as a bachelor, then to Mary Matthews 8th March 1868 as a widower.  In that time his father David Thomas became deceased.

Now where do I go to find more information about David Thomas please?  Trying to send the 2 certificates also.

Many thanks Chrissie46

Online mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 30 April 23 07:57 BST (UK) »
In anticipation of others asking.

Can you please list ALL the information on those two marriage certificates.
Including the names of witnesses, and occupations of the fathers

Offline Chrissie46

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 30 April 23 08:33 BST (UK) »
I have tried to Zip file them.  No go.   The info is 1859 - Third April Thomas Thomas -23 years -Bachelor -Copperman from Cwmavon- Father David Thomas also a Copperman -marriage to Jane Owen age 21 years spinster - from Cwmavon - father David Owen also a Copperman - Neath registry office - James Hempthorne Registrar - witnesses John Willams and William Hughes Cox also mentioned Alexander Cuthbertson Superintendent Registrar.

The second one is 1868 at Swansea - No. 189 - 8th March 1868 - Thomas Thomas 31 years - widower - Smelter man from Morriston Llaugafelach - father David Thomas - Deceased and Mary Matthews 30 years spinster - Milliner from Morriston Llaugafelach - father David Matthews a Copperman.
Register Office - by Certificate before Jeremiah Daniel - Registrar and G.B. Haynes Supt. Registrar - witnesses John Fisher and William Thomas.

Many thanks Chrissie 46

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 30 April 23 12:06 BST (UK) »
possible parents.... 1851 census at Copper Row, Michaelstone super Avon, Neath
David Thomas, married, aged 41 (1810), copper man, born Swansea
Sarah Thomas, married, aged 39 (1812), born Llangyfelach
Margaret Thomas, daughter, aged 21 (1830), born Swansea
Thomas Thomas, son, aged 15 (1836), born Swansea, occupation appears to say 'tending massons'  ???
Mary Thomas, daughter, aged 8 (1843), born Swansea
Hannah Thomas, daughter, aged 1 (1850), born Swansea

The same family was at Copper Row in 1841

Added: this appears to be the right couple as on the 1861 census, daughter Sarah Ann, is aged 2, birth registered Sept quarter 1859 with mother's maiden name Owen. Thomas (24) is a copper smelter, Jane (25), and they are at 23 Davies Row, Michaelstone super Avon
CARDIFF:Lord,Griffiths,Barry,Cope,Mahoney ~ PEMBROKESHIRE:Griffiths,Rees,Owen,Thomas ~ ESSEX:Lord,Foreman,Hatch ~ SOMERSET:Lord,Cox,Hockey,Linham,Bryant ~ STAFFORDSHIRE:Cope,Elks,Hackney,Gallimore,Davenport ~ SUFFOLK:Lord,Lockwood,Hatch,Rix,Foreman ~ IRELAND:Barry,Meany,Cummins,Grogan ~
PONTYPRIDD:Leigh,Brooks,Adams,Davies,Thomas ~ KENT:Leigh ~ CHESHIRE:Adams,Tudor,Illidge ~ DENBIGHSHIRE:Edwards,Bolas ~BRECON:Leigh,Thomas,Davies ~SOMERSET:Adams,Keitch,Bridge ~ABERGAVENNY:Minton ~ MERTHYR:.....

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 30 April 23 12:33 BST (UK) »
In 1861 David is at 7 Copper Row, Michaelstone super Avon, now a chargeman in the copper works, married to an Elizabeth, with his daughters Catherine (20) and Hannah (10) and stepchildren David, Elizabeth and Tabitha (Williams). In 1871 Elizabeth is widowed, with her daughter Tabitha.
CARDIFF:Lord,Griffiths,Barry,Cope,Mahoney ~ PEMBROKESHIRE:Griffiths,Rees,Owen,Thomas ~ ESSEX:Lord,Foreman,Hatch ~ SOMERSET:Lord,Cox,Hockey,Linham,Bryant ~ STAFFORDSHIRE:Cope,Elks,Hackney,Gallimore,Davenport ~ SUFFOLK:Lord,Lockwood,Hatch,Rix,Foreman ~ IRELAND:Barry,Meany,Cummins,Grogan ~
PONTYPRIDD:Leigh,Brooks,Adams,Davies,Thomas ~ KENT:Leigh ~ CHESHIRE:Adams,Tudor,Illidge ~ DENBIGHSHIRE:Edwards,Bolas ~BRECON:Leigh,Thomas,Davies ~SOMERSET:Adams,Keitch,Bridge ~ABERGAVENNY:Minton ~ MERTHYR:.....

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 30 April 23 12:44 BST (UK) »
possible marriage of David Thomas to Sarah Williams at Llangyfelach, on 12 Feb 1831 (there is a Hannah Thomas birth registered with mmn Williams in Neath in Jan-Mar quarter 1849)

And then David Thomas to Elizabeth Williams, Jan-Mar quarter 1858, Neath

Offline Chrissie46

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 01 May 23 08:27 BST (UK) »
Thank you Deirdre784 for all the work you have done.  I believe you are spot on.  Interesting to see the 2nd marriage also.  I will add all this to my tree and then see if I can find more about David Thomas's parents etc.  Chrissie46

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Monday 01 May 23 08:35 BST (UK) »
Thank you Deirdre784 for all the work you have done.  I believe you are spot on.  Interesting to see the 2nd marriage also.  I will add all this to my tree and then see if I can find more about David Thomas's parents etc.  Chrissie46

Sadly as he married in 1831 that will be difficult as fathers are not named in those days. Good luck