Author Topic: James Marshall  (Read 199 times)

Offline Elliven

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
James Marshall
« on: Wednesday 22 March 23 17:06 GMT (UK) »
In the 1871 Census, James Marshall was listed as an agricultural labourer living in The Johns Castle Inn, Craghead in the parish of Holmside but he was also listed as the Head of the household so he, or his wife Mary Marshall was the licensee.  It sounds quite grand but it was probably just a very small beerhouse at the time.  Can anybody please tell me when he took over the licence and who was his predecessor.  Many thanks.

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: James Marshall
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 22 March 23 17:38 GMT (UK) »
For anyone wanting to look at the 1871 entry the reference is RG10/4990/67/35.

There is an article in the Durham County Advertiser of 12 May 1893, on the subject of encroachment onto the highway at Craghead by John's Castle.. In this it was stated that John's Castle was built in 1867, so its possible that Marshall was the first licensee.

I can't see any mention of it at Craghead in the 1861 census.
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Elliven

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: James Marshall
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 22 March 23 18:19 GMT (UK) »
I had not seen any mention of it then or earlier but two prominent local historians of the 1960s and 1980s placed it as turn of the 18th/19th Century the Durham Village Book places it as 17th Century and another account states that when the coal barons arrived in Craghead [1829] there was nothing but a few scattered farms a few single story red tiled cottages and the John's Castle Inn.  In the 1871 Census it might have been a single room in one small house - just a licenced beerhouse - maybe even unnamed.  The part built on later was bigger and several feet closer to the road and that might be the cause of the encroachment.  I actually wonder if the original building was demolished with the old cottages and the present building may have been much later and just revived the name.  Many thanks for your contribution.