Author Topic: When and where did Robert Gray die?  (Read 1086 times)

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: When and where did Robert Gray die?
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 05 April 23 03:04 BST (UK) »
Hi James

You may remember that we've messaged before - Mary's mother was my 4xGreat Grandmother (via her 2nd marriage) and I sent you the link to Mary's 1854 burial at Sighthill.

I haven't explored it any further, but a possibility for Robert's death is this one:
GRAY, ROBERT  67  GRO Reference: 1868  J Quarter in SOUTH SHIELDS UNION  Volume 10A  Page 326

He was buried 16 Apr 1868 at St Hilda's, South Shields and the address given was Claypath Lane.

In the 1871 census Edward [Dodd] Barrass is living at Claypath Lane - RG10/5030/67/4
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline JAKnighton

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 05 April 23 10:10 BST (UK) »
Hi James

You may remember that we've messaged before - Mary's mother was my 4xGreat Grandmother (via her 2nd marriage) and I sent you the link to Mary's 1854 burial at Sighthill.

I haven't explored it any further, but a possibility for Robert's death is this one:
GRAY, ROBERT  67  GRO Reference: 1868  J Quarter in SOUTH SHIELDS UNION  Volume 10A  Page 326

He was buried 16 Apr 1868 at St Hilda's, South Shields and the address given was Claypath Lane.

In the 1871 census Edward [Dodd] Barrass is living at Claypath Lane - RG10/5030/67/4
Jomot, I think you may have solved this mystery! Thanks again for your help with this family. The next step is ordering the certificate, and hopefully Edward Barrass (or possibly his wife/children also living in the household) will be the informant and can confirm the connection. But even if not, I'd say the shared residence is enough proof, in absence of any other suitable death elsewhere.
Knighton in Huntingdonshire and Northamptonshire
Tweedie in Lanarkshire and Co. Down
Rodgers in Durham and Co. Monaghan
McMillan in Lanarkshire and Argyllshire

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 05 April 23 10:43 BST (UK) »
The next step is ordering the certificate, and hopefully Edward Barrass (or possibly his wife/children also living in the household) will be the informant and can confirm the connection.

Lets hope so! Robert is on the fringes of my research but it would be good to know where he ended his days.  Would you mind letting me know what the certificate says?
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline JAKnighton

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 05 April 23 21:37 BST (UK) »
The next step is ordering the certificate, and hopefully Edward Barrass (or possibly his wife/children also living in the household) will be the informant and can confirm the connection.

Lets hope so! Robert is on the fringes of my research but it would be good to know where he ended his days.  Would you mind letting me know what the certificate says?
Yes, I will be sure to let you know!
Knighton in Huntingdonshire and Northamptonshire
Tweedie in Lanarkshire and Co. Down
Rodgers in Durham and Co. Monaghan
McMillan in Lanarkshire and Argyllshire