Author Topic: Vane of long newton  (Read 272 times)

Offline ellerydesign

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Vane of long newton
« on: Friday 24 March 23 17:18 GMT (UK) »
I'm researching the early Vane family of Long Newton, county Durham in the late 1600s.
Lionel Vane of Long Newton married Catherine Fletcher at Hutton in the Forest on 20 Jan 1680, and according to the History of Parliament site they had 6 sons (2 died young) and 8 daughters (4 died young).... 14 in total.
I can only account for 5 sons and 5 daughters in online sources - all bap. at Long Newton. Elizabeth 1683, Alice 1684, George 1685, Catherine 1688, Henry 1689, Lionel 1690, Walter 1692, Mary 1696, Lionel 1698 and Mary 1700. That leaves 1 son and 3 daughters unaccounted for.
If any one has access to the Long Newton baptism and burials between 1680 and about 1720 would they be able to look for any Vane entries for me? I'd be very grateful. Thank you.
Ellery, Bye, Trimmel/Trimnell, Palmer, Tanner, Ody(e), Webb, Paradise in Wiltshire.
Ellery, Painter in Gloucestershire.
Ellery, Clift in London, Middlesex and Surrey.
Clift, Rolfe in Springfield, Essex.
Ellery, McBeth/McBeath, Towar, Morrison, Young in Stirlingshire.
Young, Cuthbert in Perthshire.
Hill, Fairweather, McKinlay, Ramsay in Caithness and Edinburgh.
McNicoll, Bogue, Coupar, Bowman, Lumgair, Weir in Arbroath and Angus.

Offline 2zpool

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Vane of long newton
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 25 March 23 07:21 GMT (UK) »
There is Mary born 19th Feb and baptised 12 Mar 1695 unless that is your 1696 one.

Janis
Co. Durham:  Hall, Snowdon, Makepeace, Barnfather, Barrass, Gray/Grey, Wilson, Carr, Cole, Richardson, Greener, Lamb
Northumberland:  Grey/Gray, Richardson, Barnfather, Heron, Redpath
------------------------------------------------------------------
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ellerydesign

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 26 March 23 17:28 BST (UK) »
Hi Janis. Thanks for your post. Yes Mary is the 1695 one on my list. I've just found an existing old pedigree of the family from one of the county histories which lists 14 children. They include a Christopher who died young, a Grace died 2 Oct 1710 bur at Staindrop, and an Elizabeth and an Albinia who both died young. However I have a feeling although no evidence as yet that they have been confused from the other main Vane family at Staindrop and Raby Castle. The names Christopher, Grace and Albinia are prevalent in that branch. Also my Elizabeth was born in 1683 only 3 years after the parents marriage, but there might have been another Elizabeth before that who died unrecorded or the 1683 Elizabeth died young and a later one unrecorded although unlikely. I have a feeling the 10 children I listed were the actual family. There seem to be no other baptisms recorded or burials.
Ellery, Bye, Trimmel/Trimnell, Palmer, Tanner, Ody(e), Webb, Paradise in Wiltshire.
Ellery, Painter in Gloucestershire.
Ellery, Clift in London, Middlesex and Surrey.
Clift, Rolfe in Springfield, Essex.
Ellery, McBeth/McBeath, Towar, Morrison, Young in Stirlingshire.
Young, Cuthbert in Perthshire.
Hill, Fairweather, McKinlay, Ramsay in Caithness and Edinburgh.
McNicoll, Bogue, Coupar, Bowman, Lumgair, Weir in Arbroath and Angus.

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 26 March 23 17:31 BST (UK) »
I was just about to post about Christopher, Grace, Albina & Elizabeth from here, but you beat me to it

https://www.british-history.ac.uk/antiquities-durham/vol3/pp212-220

But at least I know now why the pub was called the Vane Arms  ;D
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.