Author Topic: west side high street Rothesay  (Read 672 times)

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: west side high street Rothesay
« Reply #18 on: Monday 27 March 23 10:19 BST (UK) »
I wish I could find Angus and family in the 1871 and 1861 censuses, but so far no joy. Nor have I found a marriage record.

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Rdmclure

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 27 March 23 11:25 BST (UK) »
PEI did have a census in 1861 but it does not list the members of the household, just the head of household.
(It did not join Canada until 1873)
The marriage record is not indexed on the database at PEI archives. I would have to look through the church records myself for the years in question

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 27 March 23 11:59 BST (UK) »
The marriage record would only help, really, if it gave the names of the couple's parents or said where they came from.

It would be interesting to know why the people with online trees think that Angus' father's name was John - are they basing that on his son being named John Angus, or do they have some other piece of evidence? Because the fact that his first son was named Donald would suggest that his father was more likely to have been Donald.

I don't see where on the 1881 it says he spoke Gaelic, but if he did that might help to restrict the parts of Scotland he might have come from.

If he was originally Catholic, that too would reduce the areas he might be from, as most of Scotland was presbyterian apart from certain areas which remained Catholic - notably the southern parts of the Western Isles (Uist/Benbecula/Barra etc) and several pockets on the mainland.

One possible avenue of enquiry would be via Co Leis Thu? https://www.hebridespeople.com - I believe they have some records of who emigrated from the Hebrides aboard which ship and when.

It might also be worth studying other families from Scotland who settled in the same place as your Angus. There could be clues among their families - for example children born in Scotland who emigrated with their parents and who can be traced to a particular place by their baptisms. If you were to find, for example, that all the Catholic Scots in the same part of PEI were from, say, South Uist, and that they all received land grants in PEI at the same time, it would be a reasonable line of enquiry to look for Angus there.

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Rdmclure

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 27 March 23 12:35 BST (UK) »
One thing I do have is the Y-dna test. This hasn’t helped me yet but someday when more people have been tested this might be useful. Right now it shows my Maclean as an R1a type which is not as popular as R1b apparently.