Author Topic: Thomas Dwyer from Longstone  (Read 253 times)

Offline tjdwyer518

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Thomas Dwyer from Longstone
« on: Saturday 25 March 23 20:45 GMT (UK) »
I am searching for my 3g grandfather, from Longstone, Tipperary.  His name was  Thomas Dwyer and I am looking for DOB or DOD.   His wife was Mary Ryan, and his son was Thomas Dwyer, born 1854 in Tipperary. Any help is appreciated!

Offline QueenoftheWest

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Dwyer from Longstone
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 26 March 23 16:51 BST (UK) »
Welcome to RootsChat!

Could you please provide some more information so we can assist you, specifically:

1) Whom/when/where did Thomas Dwyer Jr. marry?
2) Where did you get the year of birth for Thomas Jr.?
3) Where did you get the names of Thomas Jr.'s parents (Thomas & Mary Ryan)? Have you found a baptism record for him? Did he have any siblings?

Queenie  :)

Fidler - West Ilsley, Berkshire
Hamlin/Hamlyn - Long Sutton & Martock, Somerset
Head - Marlborough & Alton Priors, Wiltshire
Minson - Kingstone, Somerset/Symondsbury, Dorset
Owsley - Buckland St Mary, Somerset
Pyke - (West) Weeke/Wick, Pewsey, Wiltshire
Salisbury - Dowlish Wake/West Dowlish, Somerset

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Dwyer from Longstone
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 26 March 23 19:04 BST (UK) »
I'm not sure if you found his marriage - but this was on 11 June 1848 to Mary Ryan at Holy Cross Parish -- RC. If this is the correct couple that is.

Unfortunately no father's names are recorded, but witnesses were Thomas Fanning and Margaret Ryan.

There is also a baptism of a Thomas Dwyer baptised with parents shown as Thomas Dwyer and Mary Ryan in 1848 (25th Dec) - in Thurles, Tipperary. However another baby was baptised shortly afterwards (see below) - also with parents Thomas Dwyer and Mary Ryan!

The name Thomas Dwyer seems to be quite popular in Tipperary. Unfortunately there were quite a lot of baptisms during the 1820s in various Tipperary parishes for babies of that name! It would be difficult to establish which was your ancestor.

(Your Thomas Dwyer and Mary Ryan did have a Michael Dwyer baptised at Holycross on 8/4/1849 - Sponsors Richard Ryan and Anto Ryan).

It's very strange as there do seem to be more than one couple named Thomas Dwyer and Mary Ryan - as a baby Anne 'Dwyre' was baptised 14 Mar 1849 with parents Thomas Dwyre and Mary Ryan - in Nenagh!

Not sure how this can be untangled.
Places of interest;
Lancashire, West Yorkshire, Southern Ireland, Scotland.