Author Topic: Noel House, Little Island, Co. Cork  (Read 658 times)

Offline miracula

• RootsChat Extra
  • Genealogy is packed with surprises and questions!
    • View Profile
Noel House, Little Island, Co. Cork
« on: Saturday 25 March 23 20:49 GMT (UK) »
My ggrandaunt Mary Kennedy married the Swiss Hermann Jaeggi. His address in 1900 was Noell House, Little Island, Co. Cork. Little Island is about 10 km east of Cork. In a newspaper clipping of 19 March 1904 it says that Hermann Jaeggi was steward at the Munster Club in Cork.

My question is: Does anybody know if Noell House was private or more a business place? Is the house still existing?

I know that they owned and ran the Bayview Hotel in Ballycotton from 1906 on. I am interested in their time before that, when Jaeggi worked in Cork City.
Acheson, Coffey, Casey, Ahearn, Kennedy, Hughes, Hearn, Gamble, Norwood, Carroll, Gray, Powell, Power, Hennebry, Rainsberry, Lyndop, Lester, Caesar.
Wunderli, Wanner, Frei, Koneth, Mäder, Häuptli, Tobler, Pletscher, Stamm, Schiess, Signer, Meyer, Burkhard, Knupp, Stünzi, Usteri, Zeller, Heusi

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Noel House, Little Island, Co. Cork
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 25 March 23 21:38 GMT (UK) »
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline miracula

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 26 March 23 10:30 BST (UK) »
I am sure that they bought the Hotel Bayview in Ballycotton and/or opened it in the year 1906 from newspaper clippings.
Before 1906 he was steward in the Munster Club in Cork. This is not definitely researched.
Between arriving in Cork (when?) and 1900 he obviously got to know my ggrandaunt Mary Kennedy and they married 1900. After being married they lived for 6 years in Cork or in Noell House.

Jaeggi's profession in the marriage cert of 1900 is more that his parents owned a Hotel in Switzerland!!
Before coming to Ireland Jaeggi was footman in London for Osmond de Beauvoir Priaulx.

That's why I would like to know more about Noell House on Little Island.
Acheson, Coffey, Casey, Ahearn, Kennedy, Hughes, Hearn, Gamble, Norwood, Carroll, Gray, Powell, Power, Hennebry, Rainsberry, Lyndop, Lester, Caesar.
Wunderli, Wanner, Frei, Koneth, Mäder, Häuptli, Tobler, Pletscher, Stamm, Schiess, Signer, Meyer, Burkhard, Knupp, Stünzi, Usteri, Zeller, Heusi

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 26 March 23 10:37 BST (UK) »
I can’t see them in 1901 census so perhaps they were in Switzerland and he was staying at Noell House at the time of marriage.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline miracula

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 26 March 23 10:47 BST (UK) »
Yes they only are in the irish census 1911.

They seemed to spend winter time in Switzerland.
And they most likely spent honeymoon in Switzerland.
This is all open because I have no mouth to mouth information because of orphanage. My irish grandmother Mary Louisa Acheson lost her both parents in 1907 when she was 8 yrs old.
And my grandmother herself died when my mother was 5 yrs old.

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 26 March 23 11:54 BST (UK) »
I can see lots of house names when searching the newspapers for House Little Island but nothing coming close to Noell, I wonder if we are mis-reading it, the writing isn't great.
I had hoped he would be living there when he bought the Bay View but his address then was The Munster Club.
No 191
O'Brien to Jaeggi
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3Q9M-CSKS-23SC?i=229&cat=185720

Offline miracula

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 26 March 23 13:35 BST (UK) »
Yes, I needed a while to transcribe Jaeggi's address in the marriage cert. I think it is Noell or Noel House. I can read clearly the letters ..oell. The first letter N makes a french surname by meaning Christmas. In the census 1901 are 5 entries for frenchmen with this Noel surname. They are mariners, fishermen or jewelry dealers. This is just for 1901, the House on Little Island of course was built in the 19th century.

The other possible first letter could be an R. Then it would be Roell House. My mother tongue is not English. So I really don't know if a house name could be Roell House in Ireland.

Thank you very much for the link to the deed. I didn't know this document yet! Alas his address is his working place there...

What could be a possibility that Jaeggi was getting an apartment for him and his wife at the Munster Club at 8 South Mall Cork. They were aged 30 and 39 when they married 1900 and no child on the way at all.

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 26 March 23 16:48 BST (UK) »

What could be a possibility that Jaeggi was getting an apartment for him and his wife at the Munster Club at 8 South Mall Cork. They were aged 30 and 39 when they married 1900 and no child on the way at all.

The Munster Club went up for sale in 1908 the advertisement says No 8 and Upper Portion of No 9, so there may have been a staff apartment at the top of No 9.

They married in Waterford so it may be the case the Rector simply didn't quite understand Hermann's accent and so got the name of the house wrong. The Rector wouldn't know places in Little Island

Offline miracula

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 26 March 23 17:28 BST (UK) »
...yes Sinann
The pronunciation problem of Noell House by the Swiss Hermann Jaeggi makes sense in a way when it comes to write it down.

The information about the sale of the Munster Club - or the house it was in - is as well new to me. Thank you!
In this case Jaeggi and his wife had to find a new solution for their future anyway. Confirms somehow the timing of buying Hotel Bayview in 1906 rather late in life, when he was 45 yrs and my ggrandaunt 36 yrs old.