Author Topic: Elizabeth née Tolson in Collingwood ON c. 1880  (Read 780 times)

Offline nicholastolson

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Elizabeth née Tolson in Collingwood ON c. 1880
« Reply #9 on: Monday 27 March 23 18:29 BST (UK) »
This might be her. I don't know about the Scottish part, though.
1881 Census of Peterville, Ontario, Canada
Robert Arkell 53, English, brewer
Maria Theresa Arkell, English, 56
Elizabeth Towlson, Scotch, 21
all born in England, all Church of England. neither woman had an occupation

https://www.familysearch.org/search/ark:/61903/1:1:MVDJ-KHQ

I couldn't find this Elizabeth anywhere later*. The Arkells seemed to have moved to London, Ontario, by 1883. Robert might have died there in that year. Maria is on the voter records, or something similar, in London in 1884. So if this is your Elizabeth and she went with the Arkells, her next stop would have been London, Ont.

As to why she would move - wouldn't she be sent out as a servant when she was old enough? Was she a servant or live-in companion in the Arkell home? They had an young Irish woman with them in 1871.

* If you find her earlier in the area, then that would eliminate her as being the person you are looking for.

Thanks for this. I'd seen the entry but, like you, noted that she was described as Scots. It's not as if the host family was Scottish, in which case Elizabeth might also have been described as such by default: Robert Arkell and Maria Theresa Hall were married in Gloucestershire (https://www.ancestry.com/discoveryui-content/view/12685945:5156?tid=&pid=&queryId=f223beb36568837da4bcc22d29031aee&_phsrc=GQY2&_phstart=successSource) - which even removes the thought that they may have been from some more distant part of England and imagined Elizabeth's Wiltshire accent to be Scottish....

Even so yes, I agree that this could well be her; thanks again. Still, the entry leaves open the questions as to why she's associated with Collingwood (either as a place or as a surname), whether she married, and where and when she died. It's on those issues that I continue to welcome further suggestions.

Offline nicholastolson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 27 March 23 18:31 BST (UK) »
Looking at the image on Anc*try ... Gowlson most likely is Towlson.  While the first letter does look like a G on the image, all of the T’s and F’s that I saw on the page have that extra flourish.  Also, it appears that an Emma Gardner is listed, and the G in her surname looks like a G.

Noted. Thanks.

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 27 March 23 20:33 BST (UK) »
Just to clarify, it appears the above was (according to her Massachusetts naturalization record):
Elizabeth Jane Lundie Tolson, born February 4, 1866, Chatham, Kent, England.
She and Albert (I would imagine Tolson) were married December 1892, Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada.
Albert was born in Bedford, Nova Scotia in 1851.
Elizabeth had three children, one named William, born Aug 23, 1902, Nova Scotia.  He most likely is the young child from the 1911 census.

William was most likely William Arthur Tolson, born 23 Aug 1902, River John, Nova Scotia. Details from WWII U.S. Draft Card.

I have not yet found an Eliza* Tolson arriving in North America.

Thanks for this, Lisa, but I'm resisting the temptation to explore the Nova Scotia Tolsons and sticking with my original concern here, namely the Elizabeth, a British Home Child, who lived in Ontario.

Apologies for the confusion.  I was trying to point out that she most likely was not your Elizabeth as she appeared to marry a Tolson, not have the maiden name of Tolson.  ;)
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 27 March 23 22:17 BST (UK) »
This might be her. I don't know about the Scottish part, though.
1881 Census of Peterville, Ontario, Canada
Robert Arkell 53, English, brewer
Maria Theresa Arkell, English, 56
Elizabeth Towlson, Scotch, 21
all born in England, all Church of England. neither woman had an occupation…

…I couldn't find this Elizabeth anywhere later*. The Arkells seemed to have moved to London, Ontario, by 1883. Robert might have died there in that year. Maria is on the voter records, or something similar, in London in 1884. So if this is your Elizabeth and she went with the Arkells, her next stop would have been London, Ont…

…she was described as Scots. It's not as if the host family was Scottish, in which case Elizabeth might also have been described as such by default: Robert Arkell and Maria Theresa Hall were married in Gloucestershire (https://www.ancestry.com/discoveryui-content/view/12685945:5156?tid=&pid=&queryId=f223beb36568837da4bcc22d29031aee&_phsrc=GQY2&_phstart=successSource) - which even removes the thought that they may have been from some more distant part of England and imagined Elizabeth's Wiltshire accent to be Scottish....

All of my ancestors (and some of their relatives) were living in Ontario by 1871.  Some of the following occurred in their census records and might be the reason for the above Elizabeth noted at Scotch:

- She was not you Elizabeth, and she had Scottish family.
- Just a mistake (either by the person giving the details, or by the enumerator).
- The person reporting not knowing the answer and making one up.
- Elizabeth stating she was Scottish to fit in with the family and neighbours.  Perhaps she lived in a predominately Irish or Scottish neighbourhood.
- Could the host family have been a bit snobbish and felt hiring an Irish or Scottish servant sounded better than hiring an English servant? (Apologies to the host family and descendants if that was not the case.)
- Were any of your Elizabeth’s ancestors Scottish? If so, perhaps she was proud of her heritage and even though she was born in England wanted people to know of her background, or perhaps she told the host family (true or not so true) stories about her “Scottish” ancestors.

I cannot view Edward’s attestation papers.  Would it be possible, please, (and not a copyright issue) to post an image of just the area that shows Collingwood?
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline nicholastolson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 27 March 23 22:36 BST (UK) »
All of my ancestors (and some of their relatives) were living in Ontario by 1871.  Some of the following occurred in their census records and might be the reason for the above Elizabeth noted at Scotch:

- She was not you Elizabeth, and she had Scottish family.
- Just a mistake (either by the person giving the details, or by the enumerator).
- The person reporting not knowing the answer and making one up.
- Elizabeth stating she was Scottish to fit in with the family and neighbours.  Perhaps she lived in a predominately Irish or Scottish neighbourhood.
- Could the host family have been a bit snobbish and felt hiring an Irish or Scottish servant sounded better than hiring an English servant? (Apologies to the host family and descendants if that was not the case.)
- Were any of your Elizabeth’s ancestors Scottish? If so, perhaps she was proud of her heritage and even though she was born in England wanted people to know of her background, or perhaps she told the host family (true or not so true) stories about her “Scottish” ancestors.
I take your point, but I'm reluctant to identify this Elizabeth with the one I'm interested in, not because it's impossible or even implausible, but because it would be conjectural and in any case would bring me no closer to finding a possible marriage or eventual death.

I cannot view Edward’s attestation papers.  Would it be possible, please, (and not a copyright issue) to post an image of just the area that shows Collingwood?

Happy to do so (and to be guided by those, like you, with more experience as to whether it's allowed). There are two references (and I hope they show up, as they don't appear in the preview):

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 27 March 23 22:39 BST (UK) »
The UK attestation papers for Edward Towlson name his next of kin as "Elizabeth Collingwood Canada". Unfortunately, even close inspection of the image leaves it unclear whether Collingwood is his sister's married name or her place of residence. In either case, I'd like to know of any records that might establish her Canadian history…

How formal were UK attestation papers?   :-\  Was Elizabeth noted as his sister?  If not, might Collingwood refer to her surname? If she was not noted as his sister might it have been more plausible to be Elizabeth Collingwood of Canada rather than Elizabeth, of Collingwood, Canada?  Again, if she was not noted as his sister, she could have been an aunt, mother, cousin, etc.  I would think that military personnel would want her exact details.  :-\. (I hope that makes sense; we know Elizabeth wasn’t Edward’s mother’s name…)

If she was Elizabeth Collingwood then she could have been anywhere in Canada.  I’ve been mainly looking in Ontario for her.

Added: posted before reading your above reply.  Will read that now.

Offline nicholastolson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 27 March 23 22:44 BST (UK) »
The UK attestation papers for Edward Towlson name his next of kin as "Elizabeth Collingwood Canada". Unfortunately, even close inspection of the image leaves it unclear whether Collingwood is his sister's married name or her place of residence. In either case, I'd like to know of any records that might establish her Canadian history…

How formal were UK attestation papers?   :-\  Was Elizabeth noted as his sister?  If not, might Collingwood refer to her surname? If she was not noted as his sister might it have been more plausible to be Elizabeth Collingwood of Canada rather than Elizabeth, of Collingwood, Canada?  Again, if she was not noted as his sister, she could have been an aunt, mother, cousin, etc.  I would think that military personnel would want her exact details.  :-\. (I hope that makes sense; we know Elizabeth wasn’t Edward’s mother’s name…)

If she was Elizabeth Collingwood then she could have been anywhere in Canada.  I’ve been mainly looking in Ontario for her.

Added: posted before reading your above reply.  Will read that now.
Edward's attestation papers were formal, though with handwritten additions such as the ones you've seen.

He did have a sister, Elizabeth (possibly Elizabeth Ann). To see what we know of her, it might be easiest to go back to my original post.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 27 March 23 23:01 BST (UK) »
I take your point, but I'm reluctant to identify this Elizabeth with the one I'm interested in, not because it's impossible or even implausible, but because it would be conjectural and in any case would bring me no closer to finding a possible marriage or eventual death.

I totally agree with you!  :)  My family made a mistake with our Ovens ancestor only to find out many years

Ok, I have to stop.  A family member will not stop talking, even though they know I’m trying to think and type. I will be back later.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 28 March 23 09:23 BST (UK) »

Decades ago, my mum thought she found a distant relative due to many reasons.  Even Honora (the newly-found relative) was positive we were related. I eventually found out that my mum’s ancestor was not related to Honora’s ancestor in the way that they thought.  I still believe our Ovens ancestors were related, I just can’t find the connection.  I never assume anything anymore; I will never make that mistake again.

We need proof that we’ve found your Elizabeth Ann; hopefully we can eventually uncover it.  I am interested in the Scottish Elizabeth in order to find out more about her, hoping to eventually find out that she is your Elizabeth, or that she isn’t so that we can rule her out.  Sometimes ruling people out can be quite helpful.