Author Topic: Diary summary week ending 2nd April  (Read 2047 times)

Offline candleflame

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Diary summary week ending 2nd April
« Reply #27 on: Friday 31 March 23 09:42 BST (UK) »
We used to tow our caravan with a mondeo too. I still miss not having the van, but husband had had enough of towing so it went to a dealer and hopefully onto a family  as it was a five berth? I  did tow too but hated manoeuvring and we had a motor mover fitted! Many happy years of towing in the uk though and our daughters have happy memories too.
North East of England

Offline louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Friday 31 March 23 10:04 BST (UK) »
Yes  I have happy memories,  40 years, I only ever towed once, never again, I  nearly got squashed against a brick wall once, thankfully not long after that we bought a mover, so much better.
Our first van had gas lamps with mantles, our next one was electric,  was sorry to see the caravan go but my husband at 80 decided he had enough, I did as much as I could to help, it was sold in pristine condition  and we took it to the new owner who parked it between 2 very scruffy vans at a railway station, I wonder how often they used it, where it was placed was a target for it to be stolen.
I do miss tbe caravan a haven't done much holidaying since
 Happy memories

LM

Census information is Crown Copyright,
from  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Granath Sweden and London
Garner, Marylebone Paddington  Northolt Ilford
Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Jenkins Marylebone Paddington
Mizon/Mison/Myson Paddington
Tindal Marylebone Paddington
Tocock, (name changed to Ellis) London
Southam Marylebone, Paddington
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Edermaniger(Maniger) Essex Kent Canada (Toronto)
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Friday 31 March 23 10:31 BST (UK) »
I've not yet felt brave enough to go on holiday since all the Covid stuff started - as well as the other health issues it seems to have dragged along behind it.
Really feel not very likely to go abroad again now, always hated airports, and cruises seem like floating petrie dishes, as far as I can see, so probably no more adventures  abroad even when I'm up to it. I love Durham, too, fascinating area.
Hope all the car issues get sorted soon.
TY
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Friday 31 March 23 10:41 BST (UK) »
I don't think we will be travelling abroad, my husband was never very keen so he won't feel the loss, there are lots of places in England I have never visited but I would like to go to Jersey, we honeymooned there and I had a free trip when i was a travel agent but remains to be seen

LM

Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Friday 31 March 23 13:10 BST (UK) »
Only just catching up with this weeks posts… always have a quick read.

LM - so very sorry to hear about your car issues and hope you get some solutions soon… always hard to loose you independence now being without wheels. I can’t imagine that, we live in a village and have two cars and we do need them.

Roobarb- pleased to hear you’ve had some time away, Durham is a lovely city to visit and I’m sure it did you the world of good too!

TY - I can understand your appreciation about travelling abroad now… it used to be a delightful experience sadly no more… I feel the same as you about cruises too!

Well as it’s our 50th Wedding Anniversary this year we are flying back to where we had our honeymoon… Jersey! Flight from Southampton and only lasts about 45-50 minutes… This time staying in St Brelades overlooking the sea… honeymoon hotel no longer in St Helier any longer, no surprising as we couldn’t afford much 50yrs ago!

Hope everyone else is well and coping with this very pesky weather! Sunshine one day and torrential rain the next… roll on summer!

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Friday 31 March 23 13:34 BST (UK) »
We flew from Heathrow  1964, my first ever flight, we stayed,  would you believe  at Plemont at Pontins, we hired a Lambretta, it was such fun, memories, well no one can take them away.
We get one bus an hour which turns up if and when it wants to, nearly missed it home today as it turned up 15 mins early,  not good enough really but no good complaining.
I used the bus today to use the post office in the local hospital as our nearest village has recently had the PO close, one bank closed last  year and  now just read our last remaining bank is to close , the one I use, it is very frustrating.
LM

Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Friday 31 March 23 14:01 BST (UK) »
Oh dear LM you’re not having the best of times! I only found out recently our bank in the local town had closed down when I went to try and pay a cheque in! No use the PO in nearest town.

We too hired a scooter and in 1973 it was wonderful touring the island! No helmets in those days either!

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Friday 31 March 23 14:44 BST (UK) »
Bank and  post office closures are happening  all over the country, I seldom use an ATM,  worries me I might be mugged, no doubt many worry about that but out in the open any Tom  Dick of Harry can watch,  my bank has friendly staff, in fact last year when Barclays closed I made a point  of asking  the cashier if they were going  to close, they said they weren't but as usual the staff are the last to know,  I made an appt at my bank on Thursday to talk about transferring  my Barclays account to them, I will cancel the appt now as it is not going to help me at all,   they did take on a  lot  of barclays clients last year.
Beginning to think the world has gone mad.
During lockdown when banks were  allowed to open at certain times Barclays had a whole stream of client's lining  the street outside,  it amazed me they closed, think it is called " footfall", where they monitor how many client's go into the bank.
Off to get the hall ready for tomorrow's Easter Fayre.
LM

Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Friday 31 March 23 17:24 BST (UK) »
I used to love the “ Fayres” and Bazaars, but there were no young members and no men so lifting heavy boxes of white elephant Bric a brac was no joke .
I always baked too, but loved it.
A bit better congregation these days but still not enough to run a full  fair with dainty refreshments ,and expensive to take as much food as we needed to.All the food was donated.
We had Grade 5 Food Hygiene too, it has to be so.

Got what I hope will be a bargain ,a Whole Salmon filleted, one side for Easter and the other cut into slices, and frozen individually .

From Morrisons.

Well I am whacked ,so Pointless and a rest.
Cheerio.
Viktoria.