Author Topic: Diary summary week ending 2nd April  (Read 2050 times)

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Diary summary week ending 2nd April
« Reply #36 on: Saturday 01 April 23 13:08 BST (UK) »
Love Jersey, that was where we went for the last holiday we had pre-Covid. We know it fairly well, first went there for a conference in the 1980s, and fell for it straight away.
Over the decades we know most of Britain really well, footloose and fancy - free, toothbrush in one pocket, clean knickers in the other, and off we'd zoom! Ah what it was to be young then.
48th wedding anniversary for us, next week. We'd intended to go to Venice in Italy for our 45th, we'd spent our 40th there, but never managed it of course ... anyway "they" cancelled Carneval that year, 'cos of Covid's emergence.... did we have any idea what was starting??
TY
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Saturday 01 April 23 20:53 BST (UK) »
Love the footloose and fancy free bit.
Not only did we go to Jersey for our honeymoon but I also went on an "educational" the year after the hurricane,  Jersey was a sad sight with trees down, was about 1986 or 1988.
Also had an "educational" in  Venice, would you believe just for a day, that was lovely, had intended to go back but never did.

LM
Census information is Crown Copyright,
from  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Granath Sweden and London
Garner, Marylebone Paddington  Northolt Ilford
Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Jenkins Marylebone Paddington
Mizon/Mison/Myson Paddington
Tindal Marylebone Paddington
Tocock, (name changed to Ellis) London
Southam Marylebone, Paddington
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Edermaniger(Maniger) Essex Kent Canada (Toronto)
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Saturday 01 April 23 22:25 BST (UK) »
A friend and I are off to San Sebastian (Basque Country) at the end of May.
First holiday since 2019. Went to Asturias on my own.

Used to go to Jersey a couple of times per year - I was a member of Jersey Croquet Club; went for their Championships every July for a week.
Also played for the Channel Islands team in the Inter-County Championships!
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Sunday 02 April 23 08:25 BST (UK) »
Easter Fayre went off OK,  no rain, how lucky we were, nice happy day but oh boy, it is such hard work, standing  most of the time, none of us younger than 76 but we did seem to have helpers at the end to tidy up.
We have a couple of people who are traders in some way, they know what they are after and our leader let's  them in a bit early,  they generally buy things that possibly we won't sell, so we started off quite well, my stall was jewellery and white elephant , I prefer my £1  stall at Christmas where it is a tombola  of everything new, one stall for the children one for adults and I generally buy it all through the year,  not many  bargains about this year, will  find out later how much we made.
Dull morning  so far but it is early.
Enjoy your day

LM
Census information is Crown Copyright,
from  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Granath Sweden and London
Garner, Marylebone Paddington  Northolt Ilford
Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Jenkins Marylebone Paddington
Mizon/Mison/Myson Paddington
Tindal Marylebone Paddington
Tocock, (name changed to Ellis) London
Southam Marylebone, Paddington
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Edermaniger(Maniger) Essex Kent Canada (Toronto)
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London

Online Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Sunday 02 April 23 08:49 BST (UK) »
Hope you get a bit of rest today L.M.
We used to get dealers at our Church “ auction “ sales.
They wanted stuff for next to nothing so I used to outbid them to a reasonable level then pull out ,only once did I have to buy the item - a really lovely cut glass dish just the right size and shape for a glorious trifle .It was£12 ,but at least £35 in a good shop ,the dealers were bidding a few pounds only ,but knew its worth,so kept on .
It started at £1, out of fashion now but not then.

Trying to get to  Church this morning ,son is leaving much too early for me so the bus. He and his brother are back at the car boot sake searching for parts and broken vehicles for their big plan to renovate their Dinky,Corgi and Matchbox toys!!!

Well must crack on , glad all went well L.M.Hope you soon “ pick up “ and feel less tired.
Hope you enjoy your holiday KG, The Asturias!mmmmmm
V.
Cheerio.