Author Topic: Myron - help with reading certificates  (Read 900 times)

Offline Kirsty Edwards

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Myron - help with reading certificates
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 30 March 23 08:07 BST (UK) »
Right ok, so I think I know where you are. Are you saying Charles Lennox Myren
1839–1917
BIRTH 23 JUN 1839 • Dufftown, Mortlach, Banff, Scotland
DEATH 23 JUN 1917 • Hillside Farm, Mortlach, Banff, Scotland

is Margaret Myron (at Earnfold, Mortlach in 1871) her father??

Thanks,
Kirsty

Your Margaret Myron is at Earnfold, Mortlach in 1871 with her probable father Charles L Myron and her grandmother Ann Myron. In 1901 Charles L is still at Earnfold, unmarried, with his sister Margaret. He died in Mortlach in 1917.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 30 March 23 09:02 BST (UK) »
Just so.

I think that the parents of Margaret/Maggie Myron or McMeeking were Charles Lennox Myron 1839-1917 and Mary Sellar; and that she was born in Botriphnie on 5 September 1858 and registered as Margaret Sellar. (As she was illegitimate she could only have been registered as Myron if her father had accompanied her mother to the registrar's when she went to register the birth, and signed the register at the same time.)

At FreeCEN https://freecen1.freecen.org.uk/cgi/search.pl there is a family at Tennanton, Botriphnie in the 1851 census consisting of James Sellar, widower, 53, blacksmith, with six children including Mary Ann, aged 12, and his 80-year-old mother. Have a look at the original document at www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk (SP).

I think these could be - probably are - Margaret/Maggie Myron or McMeeking's mother and grandparents. Look at her birth certificate on SP. Was Margaret/Maggie born at Tennanton? If so, then it's quite understandable why she was taken in by her father's parents, because her mother's mother was dead.

I think you will find that Mary Ann was the daughter of James Sellar and Barbara Garden, baptised 29 December 1838 in Botriphnie. She married Alexander Bowie in Botriphnie in 1863 and died in Grange in 1879 aged 40. Check her marriage certificate on SP to see if she was living at Tenanton at the time of her marriage.

James Sellar, mmn McPherson, died in Botriphnie in 1889 aged 87 (if you believe the deaths index at SP) or on 26 May 1889 aged 88 (if you believe the death notice in the 'Elgin Courant'). Check his death certificate on SP to see if he was the widower of Barbara Garden.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Kirsty Edwards

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 30 March 23 09:21 BST (UK) »
I can't find  Margaret/Maggie Myron birthday on SP to buy the certificate - do you see it?

Thank you!

Just so.

I think that the parents of Margaret/Maggie Myron or McMeeking were Charles Lennox Myron 1839-1917 and Mary Sellar; and that she was born in Botriphnie on 5 September 1858 and registered as Margaret Sellar. (As she was illegitimate she could only have been registered as Myron if her father had accompanied her mother to the registrar's when she went to register the birth, and signed the register at the same time.)

At FreeCEN https://freecen1.freecen.org.uk/cgi/search.pl there is a family at Tennanton, Botriphnie in the 1851 census consisting of James Sellar, widower, 53, blacksmith, with six children including Mary Ann, aged 12, and his 80-year-old mother. Have a look at the original document at www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk (SP).

I think these could be - probably are - Margaret/Maggie Myron or McMeeking's mother and grandparents. Look at her birth certificate on SP. Was Margaret/Maggie born at Tennanton? If so, then it's quite understandable why she was taken in by her father's parents, because her mother's mother was dead.

I think you will find that Mary Ann was the daughter of James Sellar and Barbara Garden, baptised 29 December 1838 in Botriphnie. She married Alexander Bowie in Botriphnie in 1863 and died in Grange in 1879 aged 40. Check her marriage certificate on SP to see if she was living at Tenanton.

James Sellar, mmn McPherson, died in Botriphnie in 1889 aged 87 (if you believe the deaths index at SP) or on 26 May 1889 aged 88 (if you believe the death notice in the 'Elgin Courant'). Check his death certificate on SP to see if he was the widower of Barbara Garden.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 30 March 23 09:47 BST (UK) »
I can't find  Margaret/Maggie Myron birthday on SP to buy the certificate - do you see it?
I've already tried to explain that her birth is registered as Margaret Sellar, not Margaret Myron, because the name of the father of an illegitimate child can only be included on the child's birth certificate if he accompanies the mother when she goes to register the birth, and signs the certificate at that time.

It is in Botriphnie, Banffshire 1858, district 148, no 15.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Kirsty Edwards

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 31 March 23 08:57 BST (UK) »
Sorry I wasn't following - thanks :)

I've already tried to explain that her birth is registered as Margaret Sellar, not Margaret Myron, because the name of the father of an illegitimate child can only be included on the child's birth certificate if he accompanies the mother when she goes to register the birth, and signs the certificate at that time.

It is in Botriphnie, Banffshire 1858, district 148, no 15.

Offline Kirsty Edwards

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 31 March 23 09:05 BST (UK) »
 :)

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 31 March 23 09:09 BST (UK) »
So she was indeed born at Ten(n)anton.

What about where Mary was living at the time of her marriage in 1863?

Offline Kirsty Edwards

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 31 March 23 09:12 BST (UK) »
I can't find Margaret Sellar/Myron/McMeeking death though.

Would that record be on SP? 

So she was indeed born at Ten(n)anton.

What about where Mary was living at the time of her marriage in 1863?

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 31 March 23 10:00 BST (UK) »
It's her mother Mary Sellar or Bowie who died in Grange in 1879. Not Margaret/Maggie who married four years later.

Mary's son-in-law Gilbert McMeeking died in Govanhill (Glasgow) in 1912.

I wondered if maybe Margaret/Maggie left Scotland after the death of her husband? Sure enough, Margaret Myron McMeeking, 76, died in Eton, Buckinghamshire, England in 1935. Get English (and Welsh) certificates from https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/Login.asp - don't use any other service as they will cost you more. English (and Welsh and Irish) death certificates are not as informative as Scottish ones, and are far more expensive.

There were seven children of the marriage, all of whom died in Scotland except Charles and John
Charles b 1884 d 1915 killed in action in the first world war
Robert b 1886 d 1930
Gilbert b 1889 d 1890
Margaret Ann b 1891 d 1916
Mary Janet b 1894 d 1982
John Myron b 1896 d 1973 in Birmingham, Warwickshire, England
Adam b 1899 d 1982