Author Topic: Myron - help with reading certificates  (Read 903 times)

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Myron - help with reading certificates
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 28 March 23 09:15 BST (UK) »
Yes. I've encountered that particular registrar's handwriting before!

Can't be sure of Maggie's mother's maiden name. It looks like Sellar but according to the 1861 and 1871 census she was born in Mortlach and there is no Margaret/Maggie with mother Sellar registered there.

There is, however, a Margaret Sellar, mother Mary Sellar, no father named, born in Botriphnie on 5 September 1858. Botriphnie is the next-door parish to Mortlach.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 28 March 23 09:31 BST (UK) »
+ a Margaret Myron/Myron born c 1859 Mortlach with her Grandmother Ann 1861/1871 Census
1871 there is a Charles Myron, age 29, Mason, Anns son at home also.
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 28 March 23 09:53 BST (UK) »
+ a Margaret Myron/Myron born c 1859 Mortlach with her Grandmother Ann 1861/1871 Census
There in a 2-year-old in the 1861 and a 12-year-old Margaret Myron in the 1871 at Earnfold, parish of Mortlach.

The original census never gives a date of birth, and 'calculating' a year of birth by subtracting the age from the census year, as some transcriptions do, gives a wrong answer in three-quarters of cases.

Except in 1841, the census was always taken at the end of March or beginning of April, which is one quarter of the way through the year. Therefore on census day only about one-quarter of people have had a birthday in that year; the other three-quarters will be a year older by Hogmanay of that year.

Margaret Sellar, born on 5 September 1858, had her second birthday in 1860, and her third in 1861, six months after the date of the 1861 census, which was on 30 March 1861. Likewise she had her 12th birthday in 1870, but didn't turn 13 until five months after the census on 7 April 1871.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Kirsty Edwards

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 29 March 23 09:37 BST (UK) »
Thanks both... I think the key is to find Maggies mothers maiden name. I can then work out how she fits into my tree! 

Offline Kirsty Edwards

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 29 March 23 09:38 BST (UK) »
Could it perhaps be:

Mary Jane Barclay
1894–1983
BIRTH 15 AUG 1894 • Mortlach, Banffshire
DEATH 26 JUN 1983 • Glack of Clunymore, Mortlach

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 29 March 23 10:58 BST (UK) »
If Margaret/Maggie Myron was 24 when she married in 1883, how would someone born eleven years later, in 1894, fit into things? 

Let's have a look.

Mary Jane Barclay or Myron, mother's maiden surname Kellas, died in Dufftown in 1983, aged 88.

Mary Jane Barclay and her twin sister Helen were born in Keith in 1894. Their mother's maiden surname isn't in the index. However there are three Barclay children, mother's surname Kellas, born in Keith in 1897, 1900 and 1904, and Alexander Barclay married Mary R Kellas in Keith in 1892. In 1891 the family is in Hill Street, Keith.

Mary Jane Barclay married Charles Myron in Mortlach in 1931. There are three births of Myrons with mother's surname Barclay, in 1930, 1936 and 1938.

I couldn't resist a look at their marriage certificate. Charles Myron was 55, son of James Myron and Margaret Sutherland. Mary Jane Barclay was 36, daughter of Alexander Barclay and Mary Kellas. So Charles Myron was born about 1875/1876 and cannot be the one who fathered Margaret/Maggie Myron when he was less than 10 years old.

This Charles Myron was with his mother and three brothers at Glack of Clunymore, Mortlach, in 1901. He died on 2 January 1939 and is buried in Mortlach with his parents, brothers and other relatives.

Your Margaret Myron is at Earnfold, Mortlach in 1871 with her probable father Charles L Myron and her grandmother Ann Myron. In 1901 Charles L is still at Earnfold, unmarried, with his sister Margaret. He died in Mortlach in 1917.

Offline Kirsty Edwards

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 29 March 23 19:11 BST (UK) »
yea there are seveal margaret/maggie myrons and charles myron and they area all related.... they weren't very imaginative with names!

Offline Kirsty Edwards

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 29 March 23 19:19 BST (UK) »
I think I have found her. The thing is, all these Myron's are ancestors to me! so it is very much a puzzle putting them all together. I found one Myron-to-Myron marriage where one Myron married their great uncles' daughter. I guess it wasn't unusual in those days.

Margaret Myron
1825–1909
BIRTH ABT. 1825 • Mortlach, Banffshire
DEATH 6 JUN 1909 • 73 balcombe street, Dufftown, Banffshire, Scotland

?

note - John Myrons death - he is related being my 1st cousin x4 removed.

If Margaret/Maggie Myron was 24 when she married in 1883, how would someone born eleven years later, in 1894, fit into things? 

Let's have a look.

Mary Jane Barclay or Myron, mother's maiden surname Kellas, died in Dufftown in 1983, aged 88.

Mary Jane Barclay and her twin sister Helen were born in Keith in 1894. Their mother's maiden surname isn't in the index. However there are three Barclay children, mother's surname Kellas, born in Keith in 1897, 1900 and 1904, and Alexander Barclay married Mary R Kellas in Keith in 1892. In 1891 the family is in Hill Street, Keith.

Mary Jane Barclay married Charles Myron in Mortlach in 1931. There are three births of Myrons with mother's surname Barclay, in 1930, 1936 and 1938.

I couldn't resist a look at their marriage certificate. Charles Myron was 55, son of James Myron and Margaret Sutherland. Mary Jane Barclay was 36, daughter of Alexander Barclay and Mary Kellas. So Charles Myron was born about 1875/1876 and cannot be the one who fathered Margaret/Maggie Myron when he was less than 10 years old.

This Charles Myron was with his mother and three brothers at Glack of Clunymore, Mortlach, in 1901. He died on 2 January 1939 and is buried in Mortlach with his parents, brothers and other relatives.

Your Margaret Myron is at Earnfold, Mortlach in 1871 with her probable father Charles L Myron and her grandmother Ann Myron. In 1901 Charles L is still at Earnfold, unmarried, with his sister Margaret. He died in Mortlach in 1917.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 29 March 23 19:47 BST (UK) »
I think I have found her.
Margaret Myron
1825–1909
BIRTH ABT. 1825 • Mortlach, Banffshire
DEATH 6 JUN 1909 • 73 balcombe street, Dufftown, Banffshire, Scotland
If Margaret/Maggie Myron or McMeeking was the daughter of Charles Myron and Mary ?Sellar, what does this Margaret Myron have to do with her? Was she Charles' sister and therefore the aunt of Margaret/Maggie Myron or McMeeking?

In fact, who is it you are now looking for?

BTW the address where she died is Balvenie Street, not Balcombe Street.