Author Topic: James Conway, blacksmith, Kingstown, Co Dublin  (Read 282 times)

Offline ourgang

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
James Conway, blacksmith, Kingstown, Co Dublin
« on: Wednesday 29 March 23 13:30 BST (UK) »
My great grandmother Mary Anne Conway was born in Kingstown Dún Laoghaire 14 October 1852, married in Monkstown 18 January 1875 to Michael Jordan and died 8 January 1892. Her husband Michael had died some years earlier in 1883. I have found the grave for Michael and Mary Anne in Deansgrange Cemetery and the grave for Mary Anne Conway's brothers and sisters in Deansgrange Cemetery. What is fascinating me is the parents James and Teresa Conway. I have no idea where they hailed from before Kingstown. I cannot find their marriage. I cannot find a death of James but have a death of a Teresa Conway 14 December 1888 (a widow) and the address given is one which was used by other Conway family members 62 Mulgrave St Dún Laoghaire. James was listed various times as a blacksmith and as a bootmaker and his sons were bootmakers. Have I hit a wall or is there any way I could find where James and Teresa Conway are buried
McGuirk, Jordan of Wicklow
Carr of Liverpool
Connor of Blackrock

Offline QueenoftheWest

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: James Conway, blacksmith, Kingstown, Co Dublin
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 29 March 23 15:13 BST (UK) »
Where did you get the date of birth for Mary Anne? How do you know her mother was Theresa?

Also, could you please provide the names of Mary Anne's siblings.

There is a marriage between a Jacobus [James] Conway and Teresa Fox on 30 July 1838 in St. Nicholas, Dublin. From what I can find, they had 1 child baptised there: a daughter called Catherine in 1839. It seems plausible that they moved elsewhere sometime later.

Possible death for a James Conway, aged 49, in Rathdown R.D. in 1864, but it has not yet been digitised.

Queenie  :)
Fidler - West Ilsley, Berkshire
Hamlin/Hamlyn - Long Sutton & Martock, Somerset
Head - Marlborough & Alton Priors, Wiltshire
Minson - Kingstone, Somerset/Symondsbury, Dorset
Owsley - Buckland St Mary, Somerset
Pyke - (West) Weeke/Wick, Pewsey, Wiltshire
Salisbury - Dowlish Wake/West Dowlish, Somerset

Offline ourgang

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 29 March 23 20:06 BST (UK) »
Thank you Queenie for your reply. I got the date of birth for Mary Anne from the Roman Catholic parish records for kingstown. Mary Anne had two brothers and one sister William born about 1843, Richard born about 1858 and Elizabeth born about 1860 ( I deducted their age of death from the date they died to get those possible birth dates). The records at Deansgrange cemetery are usually pretty accurate. I cannot remember where I got the name Teresa (for the mother) it is in my handwritten notes!!
The marriage for 1839 could be a possibility and Catherine the child could have died as she is not on the census forms.
James Conway is not marked deceased on the marriage record of Mary Anne and Michael Jordan  in 1875 so I am assuming he died later. I know I assume too much !!!
Carr of Liverpool
Connor of Blackrock

Offline QueenoftheWest

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 29 March 23 20:39 BST (UK) »
By the Roman Catholic parish records for Kingstown, do you mean these?:
https://registers.nli.ie/parishes/0523

I have looked and could not see a Mary Anne Conway baptised on 14th October 1852. Apologies if I am missing something, but I just want to make sure our information matches. An Elizabeth, daughter of James and Teresa Conway was baptised on 14th November 1852 in Kingstown.

There is also another Elizabeth baptised in Kingstown to James & Teresa Conway on 14th June 1846, so perhaps this daughter died?

Also another child of theirs baptised 17th June 1855 in the same place; name is basically illegible as it is smudged but it could possibly be Richard.

I am also realising that the NLI registers don't seem to fully match up with the ones held by Ancestry, which is rather odd...

May I also ask what census you are referring to with your comment about Catherine? If you could provide links for all your statements then that would make it a lot easier for us RootsChatters to assist you.

Regarding the death of James, you are right that James is not listed as deceased on the marriage certificate, but he is also not described as living (like some of the other fathers on the same page) so I don't know if we can know for sure he was alive.

Queenie  :)
Fidler - West Ilsley, Berkshire
Hamlin/Hamlyn - Long Sutton & Martock, Somerset
Head - Marlborough & Alton Priors, Wiltshire
Minson - Kingstone, Somerset/Symondsbury, Dorset
Owsley - Buckland St Mary, Somerset
Pyke - (West) Weeke/Wick, Pewsey, Wiltshire
Salisbury - Dowlish Wake/West Dowlish, Somerset

Offline ourgang

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 29 March 23 23:28 BST (UK) »
Thank you Queenie for your reply.
Yes i looked at the National Library of Ireland parish records. I seem to have made a hash of this. I will have to look for Mary Anne's birth again! I see the two records for Elizabeth and the one for Richard on 17 June 1855.The record at Deansgrange Cemetery for Mary Anne's death gives the date as 8th January 1892 and her age as 40
When I looked at the 1901 census of Ireland online I saw William living with Richard and Elizabeth at 62 Mulgrave St. Dún Laoghaire so again assumed they were the only ones. Not knowing about a possible Catherine I didn't look for her. I knew Mary Anne was married by 1901.
Up to now I had only looked at Mary Anne my Gt grandmother (maternal) and her brother Richard known as Uncle Dick who stepped up when Mary Anne was widowed and family lore is he was always on hand with financial assistance for my mother's family. Her father Michael (Mary Anne's son) died at 45 years leaving seven children. Back to the drawing board and my scribbled notes.
Carr of Liverpool
Connor of Blackrock