Author Topic: Helpers / Assistants / Advisers – Silvester or Sylvester / Bown / Massey-Foster  (Read 308 times)

Offline tbjjeeaa

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Helpers / Assistants / Advisers – Silvester or Sylvester / Bown / Massey-Foster
I am after any help or advice please on any of the above three surnames stated on the African continent covering the period of roughly 1916 to 1995. Hilda Edith Silvester, a distant relative, was born in Edmonton in 4Q1898 and moved to Africa, I’d guess, 1918 to 1919 time. I have various documents to prove various years but her first marriage to Stanley Norman Bown is the most confusing as I cannot find a single thing in either England or South Africa where Stanley came from.
Stanley Norman Bown, born 27/9/1897 in Rondebosch, Cape Town, South Africa, served in the RAF as a pilot during 1st World War between the dates 6/5/1918 to 2/9/1918 (28/8/1918), his date(s) of discharge. All of this information was obtained from document A.M FORM 175 on one of the family genealogy web sites some 4years ago. Stanley then disappears from my research until I note record cards some 5years later in 1923 later found on the National Archives of South Africa web site, one which reads, 1923, “OPPOSED APPLICATION. HILDA BOWN VERSUS STANLEY BOWN”, followed by another records card, 1927, “ILLIQUID CASE DIVORCE HILDA BOWN (BORN SYLVESTER) VERSUS STANLEY.” Once the divorce is completed in 1927 I have the death certificate of Stanley Norman Bown on 21/11/1963, which happened in Sinoia Hospital in Rhodesia (Zimbabwe).

I am trying to find the 1st marriage certificate which took place during, let’s say, 1918 & 1923 and her emigration papers from England to South Africa. I seem to not be able to find anything under Silvester / Sylvester or Bown.

Once Hilda Edith Bown (nee Sylvester) was divorced she now marries Claude Ernest Massey-Foster on 16/8/1927 in Kenilworth, Johannesburg, Transvaal, South Africa. The marriage, 1927, certificate was found on familysearch along with all various the death papers and Will of Claude. After marriage they spent a short while in Bremersdorp, Swaziland as Claude was working for Barclays Bank (D.C.O.).

Hilda Edith Massey-Foster eventually died in 1995 but I seem not to be able to obtain any other death records as I don’t have a specific number.

Once again, any help, assistance or advice please.

Thank you

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.
    • View Profile
Re: Helpers / Assistants / Advisers – Silvester or Sylvester / Bown / Massey-Foster
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 30 March 23 04:23 BST (UK) »
Doesn't help with a marriage, however Hilda SYLVESTER (27) appears on a passenger list for the Armadale Castle leaving Durban in 1922 arriving Southampton 6 Nov 1922 (on Ancestry).

Offline tbjjeeaa

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Helpers / Assistants / Advisers – Silvester or Sylvester / Bown / Massey-Foster
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 30 March 23 06:22 BST (UK) »
Many thanks for the reply reference the mention of Ancestry. Unfortunately I no longer have an open account with both Ancestry and/or FindMyPast.
Thank you for the suggestion though.

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 30 March 23 09:19 BST (UK) »
The age is a little out, and it says the intended residence is England, with an address given. Not sure how common the name is. Happy to send you details - send me a pm if you're interested.  :)

Offline bbart

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 30 March 23 09:35 BST (UK) »
Stanley and Hilda married in Scotland, in 1919.

From ScotlandsPeople:

BOWN   STANLEY NORMAN
SYLVESTER   HILDA
312 / 9
Montrose  (which I believe is in Angus)

Offline tbjjeeaa

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 30 March 23 10:08 BST (UK) »
Hi "bbart",
Many thanks for that.
I will now, somehow, see if I can and how to do it, view or purchase this marriage certificate.
I have never heard of scotlandspeople before..

Thank you

Offline bbart

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 30 March 23 21:00 BST (UK) »
Hi again!  I got your message; glad to hear you got the record and it sorted things out.

I do want to mention though, I wouldn't discount the passenger record that Maddys posted.  It could well be your lady returning home if things weren't working out between the couple, and she resumed using her maiden name.  Perhaps the address on the passenger list could sort that out (see Maddys reply # 3).

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Just in case it is of interest, this is the "proposed address in the United Kingdom" for Hilda. 7a Stanley Gardens W11. (Nice looking place!)