Author Topic: Divorced but buried together?? Alfred Wright  (Read 1488 times)

Offline celtickids

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Divorced but buried together?? Alfred Wright
« on: Thursday 30 March 23 12:13 BST (UK) »
Hi. Can anyone please help? I'm looking at a family in Gorton, Manchester. Alfred Wright and Marion Brookson. Alfred born 1872 in Pendleton. Marion Guest Brookson born in 1877 in Farnworth, Manchester. Father: William Guest Brookson and mother Elvina. Marion was living with her aunt Ann Reynolds, widow, and Ann's family per the 1881 census. Alfred and Marion got married in 1900. Living with their two sons, Alfred Wright aged 12 and George William Wright aged 3 per the 1911 census. Alfred worked in the railways.

In the 1921 census, there's a 49 year old Alfred Wright living in Gorton but he was showing as divorced, having been married for 13 years. He was shown as having two dependent children aged 12 and 13 (the 13 year old could be George William but then who is the 12 year old?). This could tie in with the marriage dates above but I then saw an entry for Gorton cemetery, showing an Alfred and Marion Wright buried together. Presuming that this is the same couple, it would surprise me that divorced spouses would be buried together! So the Alfred Wright on the 1921 census that I'm researching might not be the same one.

Can anyone please help me find out more on the divorced 49 year old Alfred? I'm hitting a blank. Thanks.

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Divorced but buried together?? Alfred Wright
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 30 March 23 12:21 BST (UK) »
Are you sure you have the correct Alfred Wright?

If son Alfred was 12 in 1911 and they only married 1900 - did you check his birth

BROOKSON, ALFRED  REYNOLDS      -     
GRO Reference: 1899  M Quarter in SALFORD  Volume 08D  Page 52

showing an Alfred and Marion Wright buried together

What are their respective dates of death?  If Marion is the 1935 death - where is she in 1921?

He was shown as having two dependent children aged 12 and 13 (the 13 year old could be George William but then who is the 12 year old?).

Any names shown for the children?

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline nanny jan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Russian John
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 30 March 23 12:35 BST (UK) »
I can see an Alfred and Marion Wright on 1921 census, with 2 sons Alfred (22) and George William (13).

Could this be your family?
Howard , Viney , Kingsman, Pain/e, Rainer/ Rayner, Barham, George, Wakeling (Catherine), Vicary (Frederick)   all LDN area/suburbs  Ottley/ MDX,
Henman/ KNT   Gandy/LDN before 1830  Burgess/LDN
Barham/SFK   Rainer/CAN (Toronto) Gillians/CAN  Sturgeon/CAN (Vancouver)
Bailey/LDN Page/KNT   Paling/WA (var)

All census look-ups are crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 30 March 23 13:07 BST (UK) »
Did Marion die in 1935?

The probate calendar has this entry:

Wright Marion of 14 Brunswick Street, Gorton Manchester ( wife of Alfred Wright) died 25 June 1935 at the Royal Infirmary Manchester. Administration Manchester 28 August to the said Alfred Wright labourer.

I think it would be worth to note the address and compare with the censuses and who is living there in the 1939 register.

William
Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Offline nanny jan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Russian John
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 30 March 23 14:10 BST (UK) »
14 Brunswick Street, Gorton matches the family I found on 1921 census.
Howard , Viney , Kingsman, Pain/e, Rainer/ Rayner, Barham, George, Wakeling (Catherine), Vicary (Frederick)   all LDN area/suburbs  Ottley/ MDX,
Henman/ KNT   Gandy/LDN before 1830  Burgess/LDN
Barham/SFK   Rainer/CAN (Toronto) Gillians/CAN  Sturgeon/CAN (Vancouver)
Bailey/LDN Page/KNT   Paling/WA (var)

All census look-ups are crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline celtickids

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 30 March 23 14:39 BST (UK) »
Thanks everyone! Going through in order.
Carolew: I have since found an Alfred, born on 7 Feb 1899, child of Marion Reynolds Brookson so out of marriage, baptised 23 Feb 1899 St Thomas Pendleton (am putting the details even though it's not my family in the end in case of use to others in the future)
Nannyjan: great, this confirms that Alfred & Marion were still together then. Brunswick Street, Gorton was the address on the 1911 census. Unfortunately this means I'm back to square one (or minus one!) with potentially "my" Alfred Wright.
Millmoor: thanks for the 1939 tip. I maybe should have mentioned, the "49 year old Alfred" was living at Cooper Street, Gorton. I had thought that after his divorce, he had just moved in Gorton. Maybe he wasn't even from the area in the end. So I need to find out where he was born, who his marriage was to and who the 12 and 13 year dependents were (there were no names on the 1921 census). Not much to go on..
Another avenue found on Lancashire opc Baptism: 25 Dec 1872 St Philip, Salford, Lancashire, England

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 30 March 23 15:34 BST (UK) »
Unless I have misread your reply - you appear to be saying this is not your Alfred Wright?

If your Alfred married Marion Brookman then the one you found as divorced is the one who is not "your" Alfred but the one found by nanny jan is the one corresponding to the 1911 entry you quoted.

So what info do you have on your Alfred Wright?

Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline celtickids

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 30 March 23 16:21 BST (UK) »
Hi carolew. Correct - I can bin the Brookson trail I started down.
So all I have on the Alfred Wright I'm looking into is he's aged 49 on the 1921 census, living Cooper Street, Gorton, divorced with 2 dependents aged 12 & 13. If only it weren't such a common name!

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 30 March 23 16:56 BST (UK) »
I’m not sure I am following this properly but I don’t see an Alfred as you describe.

There is Alfred b 1872, Manchester with
Annie b 1876, Lancaster
Constance Milton b 1913, Lancaster.

Is that the family you mean?

There is a birth
Constance M Wright 1913, South Manchester with mmn Pearson.

** in which case, Lancaster might mean Lancashire