Author Topic: Divorced but buried together?? Alfred Wright  (Read 1489 times)

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Divorced but buried together?? Alfred Wright
« Reply #36 on: Friday 31 March 23 17:53 BST (UK) »
Was just going to post the probate record because of the Milton reference, William. :)

A published tree shows his father as John Wright Cavanagh - baptised Manchester 1846 as John Wright Cavannah, parents Henry and Elizabeth.
So that is the Wright reference, presumably.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Ladyhawk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Friday 31 March 23 18:02 BST (UK) »
Was just going to post the probate record because of the Milton reference, William. :)

A published tree shows his father as John Wright Cavanagh - baptised Manchester 1846 as John Wright Cavannah, parents Henry and Elizabeth.

So that is the Wright reference, presumably.

John married Hannah Keeling in 1867 his address 58 Ridgeway St., Oldham Road,

1891 census (posted) Alfred Cavanagh is at Ridgeway Street with his grandparents Henry & Elizabeth

brought forward his birth entry

CAVANAGH, ALFRED      mmn KEELING 
GRO Reference: 1870  J Quarter in MANCHESTER  Volume 08D  Page 178

EDIT to add this looks like his baptism

Alfred Cavanagh
Father John, moulder Mother Hannah
Baptism 5 Jun 1870 Manchester, St Philip
England, Greater Manchester Baptisms 1571-1910
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline celtickids

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Friday 31 March 23 18:19 BST (UK) »
Hi
You're all quicker than me (not logged on permanently) so apologies if response out of order as I draft offline.
Thanks everyone for your support first and foremost.
Constance was a relative of mine. I have so little info to go on because there are limited family stories and recollections. I know every family has their skeletons in the closet and family secrets but I understand there might have been a rift involved when she married (Protestant-Catholic). William's response concurs with my difficulties in corroborating info - her husband was William but no idea why the use of David or both names unless it was to stay incognito. Personally, I don't care if my family were Christian, atheists, members of Hare Krishna or if there's illegitimate kids all over the show 😉 but it's frustrating not knowing a bit more history. I'm more or less OK with Constance's lineage going forward. It's going backwards I'm interested in, namely her parents (presumably Alfred Wright and Annie Wright/Pearson) and grandparents (perhaps Milton somewhere given her second name?) and if there were other siblings or step-siblings. This probably sounds loopy but I sometimes wonder if I'm struggling with my search because the ancestors want the past kept there but I have this uncanny feeling that I have to pursue this!
Can I be sure of the Garside link do you think? Pearson seems to be heavily present in Yorkshire and I did wonder if there were perhaps ties there.
Wow! Amazing work and story, Ladyhawk, albeit sad. Accountant's clerk makes total sense as on Constance's 'potential' birth certificate it had Alfred Wright's profession as bookkeeper. It's the end of the week and my grey cells are tiring so I'll have to re-read and look into the Cavanagh bit. It seems he used both the surname Wright and Cavanagh then if I understand well. Funny, I mentioned I thought there might be a Yorkshire link but turns out it's probably from him.
You've certainly all given me some huge breakthroughs. So appreciated!! The newspaper articles definitely confirm the Alfred, Annie & Constance, Cooper St Gorton info. Now I can hopefully find some more on Milton, Garside, Cavanagh etc.

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Friday 31 March 23 18:26 BST (UK) »
I am so glad that it is your family.  :)

I thought you might be after Annie as she was a Pearson and that, as she is a different line to your other Pearson posts, we would be going after the wrong Alfred.  ;)
There are some great finds here for you to study and sift through.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Ladyhawk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Friday 31 March 23 21:13 BST (UK) »

I am so glad that it is your family.  :)

ditto  :)

To finish off here's his burial

Alfred Cavanagh Age 63
Burial 24 Mar 1936 Manchester, Greater Manchester
Cemetery   Southern Cemetery
Cemetery Section Z
Grave Number 950
Occupation Salesman
England & Scotland, Select Cemetery Registers, 1800-2016 - no image
https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/146790508/alfred-cavanagh

and for info.

From 1901 census Alfred Cavanagh’s Uncle and Aunt Allen & Martha Kitchen married 8 Jul 1876 at Manchester, St Philip

Martha Cavanagh age 23, address Ridgeway St., Father Henry, moulder
Allen Kitchen age 23, Lawyer Clerk Father William, spinner
one of the witness Emma Cavanagh

Edit to add

from Lancashire OPC
RC baptism of one child born to Alfred & Annie

19 Nov 1905 Our Lady of Mount Carmel, Blackley, Lancashire
Anna Mildred Cavanagh - filia Alfredi Cavanagh & Annae (formerly Grundy)
Born: 23 Sep 1905 Abode: 68 Brewery St.
Godparents: Alicia Grundy

added free index 1921 South Manchester, Lancashire
Annie Cavanagh   1872   Manchester
May   Cavanagh   1894   Manchester
Cecil   Cavanagh   1903   Manchester
Mildred Cavanagh 1905 Manchester
Hilda   Cavanagh   1908   Manchester

Offline celtickids

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Thursday 06 April 23 19:53 BST (UK) »
Hi. Lots of searching and more questions than responses since your last comments (thanks for those). To be honest, poor Alfred's circumstances have left me unsettled - there's something unusual about this whole story. I'd like to be able to read the full coroner's report but I gather these aren't publicly available. I'm throwing these ponderings down only in case anyone fancies giving their thoughts.

1) When looking again at the probate extract for Alfred Cavanagh/Alfred Hardy Milton, the entry just below ie the same year caught my eye.
John Wright Cavanagh. 45 Faulkner Street Manchester. Died 12 July 1918 at Prestwich Manchester. Administration York 8 April 1937 to Annie Cavanagh, widow and Alfred Cecil Cavanagh, rent collector. Effects £200.
This was seemingly Alfred Cavanagh's father, born and baptised in 1846 who died in Sep quarter 1918, aged 72. Probate 18 years after death, seems an unusually long time? Unless they had to do this to be able to process Alfred's.

2) Was surprised that Alfred (Wright), as a bookkeeper and having a reasonable estate and dependent children, was reported as being intestate. I would've thought he would be likely to have a will. And the credit and securities "entrusted to a woman". Annie Wright/Pearson?

3) The burial record, you mentioned occupation salesman. This ties in with commercial clerk from the census for Alfred Cavanagh but not for Alfred Wright, bookkeeper?

4) administration for both Cavanagh probate was in York whereas both deaths were in Manchester. One newspaper mentioned Annie Cavanagh being in Stockport. John Wright Cavanagh's marriage was in Manchester in 1867 per freebmd but there is also one in Huddersfield in 1884. A second marriage perhaps. Or, as I've come to realise, through reading other threads on here, practices such as wrong census info, false/falsified records, stolen documents, sharing documents etc. exist.

5) Finally, I'm striking a blank on the Hardy Milton element. There was a marriage in 1867 at St John, Manchester between Mary Milton and Thomas Hardy. Link, irrelevant or red herring?! I've still got a lot of work ahead 🕵️ Have a good long weekend!

Offline celtickids

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Tuesday 29 August 23 17:07 BST (UK) »
Hi
Back again on this! Is anyone able to help me with any details on the two names on the marriage entry please? (Wright/Cavanagh).Were they both on originally or was this a modification after? I still have some doubts whether I'm in the right direction.
Re the Hardy Milton link, I found an Alfred Hardy Milton Wright on Manchester rates books for 1921 and 1926 and an Alfred Harvey Milton Wright for 1931 and 1936. I can't view the images but at least I've found the name.
The other thing still puzzling me is the other dependent child. Alice Hilda Cavanagh would be 13 in 1921. Who could the 12 year old one be and where were they?!
I'm going down the Cavanagh road regardless and I found on mlfhs some of the baptism records.
Florentia M Kavanagh baptised in 1894 at Saint Mary's, Failsworth. Child of Annae Grundy and Alfredi Kavanagh
Josephus Cuthbertus Cavanagh baptised in 1896 at Saint Mary's, Failsworth. Mother: Annae Grundy.
Anna Mildred Cavanagh baptised in 1905 at Our Lady Mount Carmel, Blackley. Child of Anna Grundy and Alfredi Cavanagh. Godmother: Alicia Grundy.
I couldn't find the baptisms of Alfred Cecil from 1903 or Alice Hilda in 1908. Perhaps not transcribed yet.
Given that I'm searching forwards rather than backwards (hoping that a living relative can shed more light on the story in the newspaper), I've since found these possible leads.
1) Alfred Cecil Cavanagh married Beryl Winefred Davis in October 1946 at Saint Alphonsus, Old Trafford. I think it's him because there is a reference to Stockport (ties into Annie Cavanagh and Alice Grundy living there afterwards per 1939 register and probate/news article mentioned this too) but there's quite an age gap, he would have been 43 and his bride 24. Seems they had at least one child: Rita Mary Cavanagh, born SepQ 1947. She married James Albert Atkinson in SepQ 1971, Manchester Register Office. I can't find any children for them. Think she might have passed away in 2005 in Yorkshire
2) Alice Hilda Cavanagh married Joseph Ernest Smith in 1937? She passed away in 1984? probate mentioned Bramhall, Stockport. Potential children: Alan E Smith SepQ 1940; William Smith DecQ 1944; Kathleen Mary Smith JunQ1946; John Francis Smith SepQ 1947. Latter two births at Stockport.
3) Anna Mildred Cavanagh married John Howell in 1933 at Chorlton upon Medlock? Potential children: John Howell DecQ 1936; Peter Francis Howell JunQ 1940; David Edward Howell SepQ 1945. Latter two births at Stockport.
Perhaps all the family regrouped in Stockport during/after WW2.
I'm hoping that someone from the Cavanagh/Howell, Cavanagh/Smith or Cavanagh/Atkinson branches might read this and have the information about this story. As I said, I feel that there's some ancestral loose ends to be tied up...
Thanks everyone!

Offline Ladyhawk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Tuesday 29 August 23 17:37 BST (UK) »

Re the Hardy Milton link, I found an

Alfred Hardy   Milton Wright on Manchester rates books for 1921 and 1926
and an
Alfred Harvey Milton Wright for 1931 and 1936.

I can't view the images but at least I've found the name.

Alfred Hardy Milton Wright
Role Occupier
Owner's first name(s) E A Hepworth
Address 63, Cooper Street (same address for Alfred Harvey Milton Wright)
Record set Greater Manchester Rate Books