Author Topic: Look-Up For John Walker,  (Read 268 times)

Offline apthorpea

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Look-Up For John Walker,
« on: Thursday 30 March 23 12:33 BST (UK) »
Ann Walker nee Lowrie and two of her brothers with their wives immigrated to America during the 1840s the time of the Irish famine.  Ann was born abt 1814  died 1894 in Ontario. Canada.

In the New York, U.S., State Census of 1855 John Walker's widow, Ann Lowrie  occupation washerwoman, lived with her three children, John, 12, Martha, 11 and Frances 8 all recorded as born in Ireland.  She had been living in the State for 8 years.  Her husband died between the birth of Frances in 1843 and 1855. On Ann's death certificate it records "Merchant Clerks Widow".  Is there records that would give me the date of his death of John Walker or immigration records that record the crossing of Ann or Annie and John and her three children. 
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:K67X-4ZH

At the time of the 1850 census  Ann's brother,  Alexander Lowrie and his family lived in Pittsburgh Ward 7, Allegheny, Pennsylvania, USA.  Martha, his daughter was recorded as born in Pennsylvania 1845.
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:M448-WMX

At the time of the 1850 census Ann's brother John Lowrie's lived in Ontario, his daughter, Martha was recorded that she was born in  Pennsylvania 1843.  He moved with his wife from Pennsylvania to Ontario in 1844.  Unfortunately I don't have the emigration records for any of the family.
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:MWTK-L83

In the 1861 census Ann has moved close to her brother John in Ontario with her three children.

Thankyou for any information Angela
Stewart, Reilly, Montgomery, Cheshire, Lyttle, Rankin, Apthorpe, Hart, Anderson,  Gourley

Offline oldohiohome

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Look-Up For John Walker,
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 01 April 23 23:22 BST (UK) »
I looked for Ann Walker and her children arriving together and didn't find them. Her brothers will be very difficult to pick out of the other Lowrys on the manifests since they married in America, unless they arrived together.

Ann's daughter Martha is not the M Walker, age 1, who arrived on the ship Manhattan on July 31, 1847. That young girl was the daughter of  T and G Walker.
There were a lot of John Walkers who died in NYC between 1847 and 1855. Ancestry had the will index and I looked at the first 4 and didn't find him.

Online Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 02 April 23 23:09 BST (UK) »
Ann Walker nee Lowrie and two of her brothers with their wives immigrated to America during the 1840s the time of the Irish famine.  Ann was born abt 1814  died 1894 in Ontario. Canada.

In the New York, U.S., State Census of 1855 John Walker's widow, Ann Lowrie  occupation washerwoman, lived with her three children, John, 12, Martha, 11 and Frances 8 all recorded as born in Ireland.  She had been living in the State for 8 years.  Her husband died between the birth of Frances in 1843 and 1855. On Ann's death certificate it records "Merchant Clerks Widow".  Is there records that would give me the date of his death of John Walker or immigration records that record the crossing of Ann or Annie and John and her three children…
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:K67X-4ZH

1855 census for Ann Walker
“Years resident in this city or town” - 8
Note: after a very quick search, I haven’t found your John/Ann prior to 1855
Shown below Ann’s entry is
  John Marshall, age 31, born England, Builder.

1857 New York City Directory (Anc*try)
John Marshall, 5S5 Eighth av. (most likely 585)
Anna Walker, dressmaker, h 899 Eighth av.
  Was this Anna your Ann (from the1855 census)?  Seems coincidental that John Marshall, a builder, and Ann Walker were recorded on the same census page and two years later were living on the same road.

1855-56 New York City Directory (Anc*try)
Ann Walker, wid. John, seamstress, r. 100 West 26th
https://digitalcollections.nypl.org/items/f283bb50-52ac-0134-0b4b-00505686a51c#/?uuid=f3b41690-52ac-0134-4ee1-00505686a51c
Could this be your Ann?  :-\

I did not see Ann in the 1854-55 directory.

According to the 1871 (Canadian) census, my Mumford ancestors arrived in 1867.  However, his children were born in Canada prior to 1867.  I no longer believe everything that is recorded on census returns. Perhaps your Walkers were living in New York City for eight years; or, perhaps they weren’t.
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline apthorpea

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 05 April 23 18:58 BST (UK) »
Thank you both for looking at the information.  I will have another look but as you say you can not be certain that the records were correct as a lot of people could not read or write at the time.  And with the families broad accent in a new country, forms must have been a problem for the family. As there was no way they could confirm what the person taking the information was correct.   My G G Grandmother sister, Ellen was John Lowry's wife married in Donegal on the 22 Nov 1841. Their daughter Martha Blair was born on October 10, 1843, in Pittsburgh, Allegheny,  Pennsylvania. There are letters from the Lowry's and Walker's to an Uncle Andrew Lowry in Donegal, Ireland, with some information on.  Their younger children were all born in Ontario, Canada where all the family  remained. In 1850 census Alexander (Alex) lived in  Pennsylvania. Allegheny. Pittsburgh Ward 7, their 3 children were born, according to the census, in Pennsylvania.   His wife was from Scotland so I don't know where or when they married.  Both John and Alex were blacksmiths as well as owning farms. Whereas, John Walker I believe was a Weaver as was his wife when she moved to Ontaria.  The family were all very close and kept in touch with each other.  Thank you again.  Angela
Stewart, Reilly, Montgomery, Cheshire, Lyttle, Rankin, Apthorpe, Hart, Anderson,  Gourley