Author Topic: FTM 2019 duplicated media  (Read 310 times)

Offline Big Dave R

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
FTM 2019 duplicated media
« on: Thursday 30 March 23 15:34 BST (UK) »
Somewhere in transferring FTM 2019 from one machine to another I have noticed that all the media files associated are saved in two places (on different drives).
From looking in the programme I can see which set the programme is looking at, which happens to be on different drive to where the program files, backups and so on sit.
I would like to delete one set from my PC but obviously don't want to lose any links.  I was wondering if when I take a full back up including media is it making a copy of everything so I if I deleted the original data and restored a back up am I likely to get all the media back.  Also have to figure out if I can change (or if I even need to) the location referenced in FM for media.

Offline martin hooper

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: FTM 2019 duplicated media
« Reply #1 on: Friday 31 March 23 11:33 BST (UK) »
If you do a backup including media it copies the media images into the backup file. What I would do is then restore from that backup into a new location. Check that it's working ok, then delete all the old stuff.

You could also just simply delete the second copy that isn't being used without doing a backup first. You know which one it is. Depends how confident you are. I do a lot of moving FTM files around on the cloud so I'm quite familiar with it.

Good luck.

Martin

Offline Big Dave R

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 31 March 23 17:10 BST (UK) »
Is there anywhere in the program that dictates where new media files are saved to?
The only reference I can find is in Tools - Options location for new trees - which is not the same drive this media is saved.  (I have multiple trees and the others are in the place I would like them to be)

Offline martin hooper

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 31 March 23 17:17 BST (UK) »
The media are always saved into the same directory as your tree file. If your tree called Mytree, the media will be in a folder called Mytree Media.

Martin

Offline Big Dave R

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 31 March 23 17:33 BST (UK) »
Thank you.  Must have got detached somewhere setting up new PC as it's not saved there now !

Offline martin hooper

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 01 April 23 10:34 BST (UK) »
If you open the tree and then click on the media link at the top, it shows all your media files. You can see where they're stored by looking at the filename in the bottom right corner.

Martin