Author Topic: Liverpool Newspapers Around 1920  (Read 316 times)

Offline Matthew4298

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Liverpool Newspapers Around 1920
« on: Thursday 30 March 23 18:22 BST (UK) »
I have a question about how many newspapers were around Liverpool in 1920. Here's the background to my question:

My great-grandfather, Steven A. Rebeck (1891-1975) was a sculptor from Cleveland, Ohio. During World War I he was a Sargent in the 97th Aero Squadron. On his way to France in 1917, he stopped by Liverpool and apparently rescued a Liverpool girl by the name of Jane Jones. They corresponded throughout the war and a year after, and in 1920, she left Liverpool and married him on March 1, in New York City. The story made the New York Times (the text can be found here: http://stevenrebeck.com/clippings/nyt.html). A number of other newspapers across the United States picked it up as well.

It never occurred to me that the story might have been picked up in the UK. I just recently started a membership at Findmypast and searched their newspaper collection and found a few hits. The March 2, 1920 edition of London Daily News had the story. It was pretty much copied from the New York Times, except for one paragraph mentioning her father dying 11 years previous (something I had not known) and a younger brother. The more interesting find was the March 3, 1920 edition of the Liverpool Daily Post, which had a different take from the view of her mother (I've attached this article as well).

This led me to wonder how many other Liverpool newspapers were around in 1920 and if any of them might also have contacted her mother for comment and have something else interesting to find. The Liverpool Daily Post seems to be the only Liverpool newspaper from 1920 that has been digitized (I'd be happy to be corrected on this), but what other papers have not been digitized?

Matt

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Liverpool Newspapers Around 1920
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 30 March 23 19:35 BST (UK) »
Checking BNA, with Liverpool as place of publication, digitized are the Liverpool Journal of Commerce (1861-1940), Liverpool Daily Post (1855-1995) and the Liverpool Echo (1879-1999).
These three cover 1920. The Echo is the only publication without gaps.
In all there are sixteen digitized Liverpool papers but thirteen of them do not cover the year 1920. Indeed, most don't go up to 1920.

These are papers with Liverpool as part of their title.

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 30 March 23 20:05 BST (UK) »
Checking Liverpool City Council newspaper holdings it states "By 1940 there were only 3 main Liverpool newspapers left" - Daily Post, Liverpool Echo and Evening Express.
I originally included the Evening Express as covering 1920 but closer checking of BNA identified that year as "missing".
Looking at the 16 digitized newspapers for Liverpool (on BNA/FindMyPast) only 4 were publishing beyond 1920.

Offline Gibel

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 30 March 23 23:44 BST (UK) »
There’s a bit in the Daily Mirror  on 2 March 1920. Her being rescued by an assailant is mentioned and the fact she’d only met him 3 times before she set off to marry him.

I’ve no idea how to copy and paste the article sorry!

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 30 March 23 23:58 BST (UK) »
Jane must have died between 1930 & 1940 as Steven's wife is Grace born Kentucky in 1940
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Matthew4298

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 31 March 23 00:02 BST (UK) »
Hello all, thanks for your replies. And sadly Jane did die young - in 1933 which is why she has remained very much a mystery to me. Most of the surnames I have researched in my genealogy are relatively uncommon. Researching Jones, and with very little information has been quite a challenge. I think I have the right family back to the 1901 census now (the 1921 census was key as I had her mother's address from the 1920 passenger list)

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 31 March 23 00:15 BST (UK) »
For info only - you will already have this info

Steven A Rebeck
Gender    Male
Marriage Date    1 Mar 1920  Manhattan, New York
Spouse    Jane Jones

Steven A Rebeck age 44
Marriage 1935
Birth Place Cleveland, Ohio
Father    Andrew Rebeck
Mother    Elizabeth
Spouse    
Mrs Grace Kearney
Age    38
Father    John L Lair
Mother    Mary Tatum
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 31 March 23 10:24 BST (UK) »
Also reported in the Dundee Courier (Scotland) on 12 April 1920. No further detail recorded however.