Author Topic: Family History Help for Germany  (Read 282 times)

Offline SuzanneLivingston

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Family History Help for Germany
« on: Thursday 30 March 23 18:26 BST (UK) »
I am searching for information regarding my Grandfather, Walter A. Kohler, DOB 4/29/1900, born in Apolda, Thurginen, Germany according to the Petition for citizenship documents.  I have all the information from when he entered the US, but am unable to find any records about his life in Germany.   According the passengers list when he traveled to the US his fathers name was Hermann Koehler.  I was later able to confirm the fathers name as Herman Kohler on the marriage license that I found from the US Dutch Reformed Church in Manhattan, NY.  His mother was listed as Alma Wolf.  Not sure if that she was his biological mother as I have not been able to connect her to anyone in Germany.  Of course there are many different spellings of the last name, but I also remember when I was like 18 years of age when I asked my grandfather what his mothers name was, it wasn't a short name.  If Alma was his mother, that may only be part of her name.

After a few trips to the US my grandfather returned to US in 1928, married Irma Irene Else Nowastzy on April 5, 1930 and had one daughter, Eleanor Kohler, my mother, on December 1, 1932.  Lived in the Bronx for several years before relocating to New Jersey.  Walter also earned his own business, Central Tool & Die Works I believe it was in NY and he was a machinist.  He only complete second level of education in Germany before coming to the US.  He died in 1976 in the US.

I did find that he traveled back to Germany on September 11, 1948 to Frankfurt.  Don't know why but that could be helpful.   I also had some old pictures with the old German language on them which I had deciphered and he may have a brother named Max from 1925.  However, not able to connect anything with that either.  The picture look a little like my grandfather when he was younger.

I would really appreciate any assistance with this search as I would like more information on my Great Grandfather Hermann, my Great Grandmother Alma as well as any siblings my grandfather Walter may of had. I do believe he had a brother, but not sure Max Kohler of (Koehler) was his full name.
Unfortunately I do not have access to any world wide records.
Thank you in advance.  Suzanne

Offline HughC

• RootsChat Veteran
  • et patribus et posteritati
    • View Profile
Re: Family History Help for Germany
« Reply #1 on: Friday 31 March 23 07:15 BST (UK) »
It's Thüringen; and you mean old German script, not language.
Was that the reason this was posted in The Lighter Side?
Bagwell of Kilmore & Lisronagh, Co. Tipperary;  Beatty from Enniskillen;  Brown from Preston, Lancs.;  Burke of Ballydugan, Co. Galway;  Casement in the IoM and Co. Antrim;  Davison of Knockboy, Broughshane;  Frobisher;  Guillemard;  Harrison in Co. Antrim and Dublin;  Jones around Burton Pedwardine, Lincs.;  Lindesay of Loughry;  Newcomen of Camlagh, Co. Roscommon;  Shield;  Watson from Kidderminster;  Wilkinson from Leeds

Offline Top-of-the-hill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 31 March 23 11:11 BST (UK) »
  There is a board on Rootschat headed "Europe", which has some posts about Germany. Have you seen that? Maybe a better place to post your enquiry?
Pay, Kent
Codham/Coltham, Kent
Kent, Felton, Essex
Staples, Wiltshire

Offline fiddlerslass

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 31 March 23 12:53 BST (UK) »
Around the date you are interested in,1900 and earlier,  Apolda was in the Grand  Duchy of Saxe - Weimar - Eisenach.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saxe-Weimar-Eisenach

Here's the Cyndi 's list page of links; I hope they are still working

https://www.cyndislist.com/germany/states/sachsen-weimar-eisenach/

You would need to know what religion they were in order to find the correct records. If Walter married in the Dutch reformed church, I would guess they were Lutheran or Evangelical rather than Catholics.

More info on finding aids, etc:

https://www.familysearch.org/en/wiki/Saxe-Weimar-Eisenach_(Sachsen-Weimar-Eisenach),_German_Empire_Genealogy

There may be some records here

https://www.archion.de/en/the-portal/

Good Luck!
Bulman, DUR
Butterfield DUR & N. YKS,
Earnshaw DUR
Hopps DUR & N. YKS
Howe, Richardson,Thompson all DUR

William Thompson violin maker Bishop Auckland
William Thompson jun. Violin maker Leeds

Richardson in Bermondsey/East Ham, descendants of William Richardson b. 1820 Bishop Auckland

Berger, Fritsch, Ritschel, Pechanz, Funke, Endesfelder & others from Czechia

Offline fiddlerslass

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 31 March 23 14:10 BST (UK) »
There is a 1909 directory of Apolda online. There are many Köhler and Wolf/Wolff families. There is a Herman Köhler, innkeeper on Promenadenstrasse, listed, but he may not necessarily be the grandfather you are looking for more information on.

https://www.digibib.genealogy.net/viewer/image/773553517_1909/99/
Bulman, DUR
Butterfield DUR & N. YKS,
Earnshaw DUR
Hopps DUR & N. YKS
Howe, Richardson,Thompson all DUR

William Thompson violin maker Bishop Auckland
William Thompson jun. Violin maker Leeds

Richardson in Bermondsey/East Ham, descendants of William Richardson b. 1820 Bishop Auckland

Berger, Fritsch, Ritschel, Pechanz, Funke, Endesfelder & others from Czechia