Author Topic: Size limit for pm in RootsChat? Completed, thank you.  (Read 322 times)

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Size limit for pm in RootsChat? Completed, thank you.
« on: Thursday 30 March 23 23:56 BST (UK) »
Hello.  I’m copying/pasting information into one pm so that we can have details in one message rather than in our back and forth messages. Is there a size limit for pm text?  Thank you for any guidance. Lisa
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Size limit for pm in RootsChat?
« Reply #1 on: Friday 31 March 23 00:04 BST (UK) »
Never mind, thank you.  I’ve reached the size limit…it’s 5500 characters.  :-\  Oh well.  :)
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: Size limit for pm in RootsChat? Completed, thank you.
« Reply #2 on: Friday 31 March 23 13:17 BST (UK) »
You can reply more than once to a pm,  why not just split your message over two or more posts.  When the other person opens them they should be able to read them both though they will display the wrong way round
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Biggles50

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 31 March 23 14:34 BST (UK) »
Splitting the message over multiple posts is the way, write what you want to say in Word, Pages etc and copy and paste.

What I have done is copy the First section into a post, then immediately create a Second, Third post etc putting just a letter in each.  This way I can copy the next section and go the the Second post I created, modify it by pasting the text, then do the same with the next.

Doing it this way keeps the posts consecutive, where if you do not do this Roots Chat  members are so quick to respond you could have one or more posts between your contribution.

See what I mean here in this stickie in the DNA section

https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=863488.0

Hope this helps

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 31 March 23 18:43 BST (UK) »
Hi rosie99 and Biggles50.  Thank you for your replies and help.  :)

I did end up splitting the contents into two messages.  It actually might be better that way - I think it would have been too long to read had the material been in one message.

Biggles50, thank you for referencing the link.  That’s a great idea for a future situation.

I am trying to help a RootsChatter through pm.  Because there are many details that the RC has shared and multiple findings by both of us, I wanted to gather everything into one pm, and just have facts with no extra words.

Example (made up):
James Mumford was born in 1829, most likely in December.  He was born in Great Dunmow, Essex.  His father was also named James and his mother was Sarah, maiden name unknown.

Changed to
James Mumford, b December(?) 1829, Great Dunmow, Essex
Parents: James Mumford and Sarah ? 

It was getting tedious to look for previous details and having all of the details (just facts) in two messages will be easier to refer to previously found information. I hope this makes sense; it’s difficult to explain.  Thank you both again.  :)

Added: because we are discussing three generations, I found myself forgetting certain details and had to occasionally look through our previous correspondence to find the year of birth, or the parents’ details, etc.