Author Topic: Sophia Tasker (nee Eaton)  (Read 129 times)

Offline juddee

• RootsChat Senior
  • Found them! Found them! I wish!
    • View Profile
Sophia Tasker (nee Eaton)
« on: Friday 31 March 23 12:45 BST (UK) »
I am chasing the marriage of Sophia Tasker (nee Eaton) who married James Tasker, convict in Oxfordshire 1808. James was transported to VDL in 1820 after being sentenced at the Berkshire Assizes in Reading the same year I believe Sophia remarried a man called William Gardener/Gardiner/Gardner possibly at Abingdon c 1821.Is it possible for someone to check on this for me please? Thank you in advance  :)
Living in the land of Oz<br />Berkshire TASKER<br />Cambridgeshire BLANKS HAYDEN, STEWART<br />Durham GRAY LAVERICK UNTHANK<br />Gloustershire ANDREWS WILLINGTON<br />Hertfordshire HALES HAYDEN<br />Lancashire WHITE HARTNET<br />Oxfordshire EATON TASKER<br />Somerset  DAINTY GERRETT MURRAY SLADE<br />Wiltshire BARTLETT GERRETT<br /> Galway HICKEY LEWIS <br />Germany HARTMANN SCHUEMACHER<br />

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Sophia Tasker (nee Eaton)
« Reply #1 on: Friday 31 March 23 13:15 BST (UK) »
James TASKER
Marriage Date    20 Jul 1808
Marriage Place    Oxford, St Mary Magdalen, Oxfordshire, England
Spouse    Sophia EATON

Both 'of this parish', James made his mark, Sophia signed.  Witnesses may be Thomas ATKINS and Mary Ann --?  Hard to tell.

Debra  :)

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 31 March 23 13:46 BST (UK) »
I doubt that she married William.  She is GARDINER on all the census entries and always lived in St Mary Magdalen parish but I think she died as TASKER.  She died in the workhouse in 1871 aged 92 (burial record).

Debra  :)

Offline juddee

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 31 March 23 14:17 BST (UK) »
That is part of the message surrounding Sophia and James Debbie Why she was using the name Gardiner in the 1841,1851and 1861 census but reverted back to Tasker in the 1871 census after which she passed away later that year.  Somewhere in the back of this old mind the name William keeps cropping up. May have something to do with a William Gardiner being a witness at James Berkshire Assize's trial for stealing a pig James committed his crime at South Hinskey which was/is a mile or so from Oxford and not far from Abingdon.
Living in the land of Oz<br />Berkshire TASKER<br />Cambridgeshire BLANKS HAYDEN, STEWART<br />Durham GRAY LAVERICK UNTHANK<br />Gloustershire ANDREWS WILLINGTON<br />Hertfordshire HALES HAYDEN<br />Lancashire WHITE HARTNET<br />Oxfordshire EATON TASKER<br />Somerset  DAINTY GERRETT MURRAY SLADE<br />Wiltshire BARTLETT GERRETT<br /> Galway HICKEY LEWIS <br />Germany HARTMANN SCHUEMACHER<br />

Offline juddee

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 31 March 23 14:25 BST (UK) »
Sorry I called you Debbie. It's after midnight here. In 1841 she was living with William Henry Tasker her son but using the name Gardiner That is part of the mystery surrounding her. I wonder why? Guess I'll never know. Thank you for all the trouble you have taken on my behalf it is appreciated greatly
Regards Annie