Author Topic: Outram Barracks, Lucknow, India between the wars  (Read 1154 times)

Offline Malcolm Butcher

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Outram Barracks, Lucknow, India between the wars
« on: Saturday 01 April 23 20:30 BST (UK) »
My first cousin, once removed was based here between WW1 and WW2. He was accidentally shot and killed whilst there. I would like to find out more but don't know how to go about it. Can you help?

Rifleman Edward Thomas Richards

M.G. Company
Outram Barracks
Lucknow
India

D.O.B: 3rd September 1904 at Moelfre, Llansilin, Denbighshire

Offline cath151

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: OUTRAM BARRACKS, LUCKNOW, INDIA BETWEEN THE WARS
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 01 April 23 21:31 BST (UK) »
Indian Burials have
Death May 15th 1932 Edward Thomas Richards aged 27 yrs 5 months and 12 days 6843775 Rifleman, Royal Rifle Corps. Buried 16th May 1932, cause of death gunshot wound.
Military Cemetery of Fort William, Bengal.
It would be possible to get a death certificate from the Gro overseas deaths.

Cathy
Sinnock/Sinnicks...Brighton,Greenwich.
Clements,Coles,Mc Donagh,Rock

Census InformationCrown Copyright from www.national archives.gov.uk

Offline Malcolm Butcher

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 01 April 23 21:44 BST (UK) »
Hi Cathy and thank you very much for this. This chap was my mum's cousin. My mum is 102 years old and remembers hearing the news about it. She'll be pleased to have an update. Would you know how I would go about getting hold of the death certificate?  Malcolm

Offline Andy J2022

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 01 April 23 21:51 BST (UK) »
The 20 year period between the end of the first world war and the start of the second means that around 10 to fifteen infantry battalions could have been rotated through the Lucknow Garrison during the period. The rank of Rifleman helps to narrow things down a bit as only certain types of Infantry call their private soldiers by this title: mainly they are the Rifle Brigade, the Light Infantry and regiments whose title ends in Rifles, eg th Royal Ulster Rifles.

A quick check through some of the likely candidates for his unit shows that the 2nd Battalion of the Highland Light Infantry were stationed in Lucknow in 1930, although their overall stay in India spanned the period 1923 -1934. The 1st bn the Duke of Cornwall's Light Infantry were in Lucknow in 1927, and 2nd bn the Durham Light Iinfantry were in the North West of India during the period 1920-1936 so could have spent time in Lucknow. There are no records I am aware of which list the occupants of the individual barracks within the Lucknow District. Around 1927 - 30 the 6th Lucknow Brigade consisted of 4 infantry battalions at any one time.

As Cathy has already mentioned there is a death entry in the Army Overseas Death Returns in the period 1931-35 for an Edward T Richards aged 27 who died in 1932. The place recorded is Calcutta, but that may have been where he was in hospital after the incident. You can get a copy of the death certificate from the GRO to see if this gives further details which might confirm if this was your man. I would expect there to have been a Board of Inquiry into his death. This is somewhat similar to a coroner's Inquest in civilian life. Nothing comes up immediately on a TNA search for his name.

Offline Andy J2022

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 01 April 23 21:58 BST (UK) »
The formal title of his unit was the King's Royal Rifle Corps which later merged with a couple of other regiments to become the Royal Green Jackets, which in turn became the present day 2nd battalion, The Rifles.

Offline Malcolm Butcher

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 01 April 23 22:00 BST (UK) »
Hi Andy. This is great stuff. I understand that Teddy accidentally shot himself whilst cleaning his gun. Mind you, that tale is now 90 years old and I'd like to get to the truth. It would be very interesting to see any inquest papers. I'll also look into ordering the death certificate too.

Thank you very much also for the update on his unit.

Malcolm

Offline Andy J2022

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 01 April 23 22:07 BST (UK) »
It is extremely difficult to accidentally shoot yourself with your own rifle, which at that time would have been the Lee Enfield Short Magazine. https://www.rifleman.org.uk/The_Rifle_Short_Magazine_Lee-Enfield.html
I rather suspect it was either suicide or he was accidentally shot by a fellow soldier. Perhaps best not to pass on that comment to your mum!

Offline Malcolm Butcher

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 01 April 23 22:11 BST (UK) »
I think it was something to do with cleaning his rifle and it all went wrong. I am a lot further on with this now and I'll look into it on Monday and update this post with anything else I find out.

Thank you again,

Malcolm

Offline cath151

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 01 April 23 22:15 BST (UK) »
See you ve got some good advice on how to proceed :) I agree, the cause of death could come as a shock, no reason to think so but best be prepared.
Cathy
Sinnock/Sinnicks...Brighton,Greenwich.
Clements,Coles,Mc Donagh,Rock

Census InformationCrown Copyright from www.national archives.gov.uk