Author Topic: Missing Canterbury Licence  (Read 383 times)

Offline bearkat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Missing Canterbury Licence
« on: Saturday 01 April 23 21:57 BST (UK) »
Jane WALLIS married George MICHEL (MITCHELL) 6 Nov 1703 at Detling.

According to the parish register entry they married  by licence however I can't find a licence among Cowper's Canterbury Marriage Licences. I've always been able to find licences before.  Is the list incomplete?
Middx - VAUS, ROBERTS, EVERSFIELD, INMAN, STAR, HOLBECK, WYATT, BICKFORD, SMITH, REDWOOD
Hants - SMALL, HAMMERTON, GRIST, FRYER, TRODD, DAGWELL, PARKER, WOODFORD, CROUTEAR, BECK, BENDELL, KEEPING, HARDING, BULL
Kent - BAYLY, BORER, MITCHELL, PLANE, VERNON, FARRANCE, CHAPMAN, MEDHURST, LOMAX, WYATT, IDEN
Devon - TOPE, BICKFORD, FOSTER
YKS - QUIRK, McGUIRE, BENN
Nott/Derbs - SLACK
Herts - BARNES
L'pool- PLUMBE
 All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Zacktyr

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My little paperweight!
    • View Profile
Re: Missing Canterbury Licence
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 02 April 23 22:35 BST (UK) »
Hi, Bearkat,

I see from the parish register entry for this marriage that both parties were of Linton (in the Archdeaconry of Canterbury).  Detling is within the Consistory Court of Canterbury and I wonder if that anomaly meant that they had to seek a licence from either the Vicar General or the Faculty Office.  Have you had an opportunity to look in either of those records to find the licence? 
CRN-Hocking
DVN-Bickle.Doble.Harris.Hill.Nrthcte
KEN-Austen.Bodeker.Collard.Dodd.Duncan.Eaton.Gregry.Hammnd.Herman.Hills.Hodgs.Ivysn.
James.Kemp.Milstd.Nut.Owlet.Ruck.Spilet.Terry.Tilby.Thmsn.Walker
SOM-Baker.Clatworthy.Linton.Parker.Smith.Stone.Twose
ABD-Barclay.Cruickshank.McKenzie.Shepherd.Club
LKS-Douglas.Gunn.Turner
MLN-Dicks/Dickson.Duff.Lindsay.Young
SHI-Bain.Cluness.Fordyce.Gray.Petrie
ASSISTANCE PROVIDED HERE IS FROM MY OWN DIRECT EXPERIENCE & NOT TO BE CONSTRUED AS LEGAL ADVICE

Offline Top-of-the-hill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 03 April 23 12:09 BST (UK) »
  I looked at the register entry and noticed how many of the marriages were of couples from elsewhere. I wondered if there was something particular about Detling Church? Or was this more common at that early date?
Pay, Kent
Codham/Coltham, Kent
Kent, Felton, Essex
Staples, Wiltshire

Offline bearkat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 03 April 23 20:14 BST (UK) »
Many thanks for the suggestions.

This branch of the family often married by licence away from the bride & groom's home parish.

I've looked at the Vicar General Marriage Licence index on FindMyPast but I'm not finding it.
Middx - VAUS, ROBERTS, EVERSFIELD, INMAN, STAR, HOLBECK, WYATT, BICKFORD, SMITH, REDWOOD
Hants - SMALL, HAMMERTON, GRIST, FRYER, TRODD, DAGWELL, PARKER, WOODFORD, CROUTEAR, BECK, BENDELL, KEEPING, HARDING, BULL
Kent - BAYLY, BORER, MITCHELL, PLANE, VERNON, FARRANCE, CHAPMAN, MEDHURST, LOMAX, WYATT, IDEN
Devon - TOPE, BICKFORD, FOSTER
YKS - QUIRK, McGUIRE, BENN
Nott/Derbs - SLACK
Herts - BARNES
L'pool- PLUMBE
 All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk