Author Topic: Children of Edward Thomas MEADES and Ellen Louisa Bartlett?  (Read 155 times)

Offline Tgapitbull

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Children of Edward Thomas MEADES and Ellen Louisa Bartlett?
« on: Sunday 02 April 23 03:53 BST (UK) »
Edward Thomas MEADES was born on 5 February 1874 at Portsea.  He was the eldest son of James MEADES and Emma NAYLER/NAYLOR.  They had another son George Meades b 7 April 1876.  James was a Mariner and came to NZ in 1879 and appears not to have returned to England.  He died in New Zealand in 1910 age 59 yrs.  Emma died in Portsmouth in 1922 and is buried in the Kingston cemetery.

Edward married Ellen (Nelly) Louisa Bartlett on 24 April 1905 at St Clement, Jersey.

Edward died in October 1961 and Ellen died in 1976, both in Blyth, Suffolk.

Edward was an Armourer in the Royal Navy in 1911.

Edward and Ellen had one son that I know of; George Edward Meades b 3 May 1907 in Copnor, Hampshire.  He was baptised on 6 June 1907 at St Stephens, Portsea.  In 1933 he married Miriam Maude Woolnough in Blything, Suffolk.  George died in July 1981 in Blyth, Suffolk and Miriam died in November 2001 in Blackpool, Lancashire.

George Edward Meades enlisted on 19 May 1926 in the Royal Air Force, Service No 505531.

My question is: Did Edward Thomas Meades and his wife Ellen Louisa Meades nee Bartlett have any other children?

I have contacted some decendants of the Meades family, however they have not been able to assist as family members died young and info not passed on or they have not responded to my queries.  Ancestry family tree authors have not been able to assist either.  I have checked Familysearch and no longer have sub to FindMyPast.

Any assistance appreciated.

TPB

Offline amondg

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Children of Edward Thomas MEADES and Ellen Louisa Bartlett?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 02 April 23 04:34 BST (UK) »
1939 Edward says his DOB is 2 February 1874, Ellen is 19 November 1880

There are no children with them at this time at 53 Carnarvon Road, Portsmouth

Offline amondg

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 02 April 23 04:42 BST (UK) »
1921 census they are living in Portsmouth with his widowed mother Emma born Stepney aged 74, George E is 14 born Portsmouth.

Using FreeBMD there are no more births in Portsmouth area between 1911 and 1921 for Meades with mothers name Bartlett.

So I would say no they didn't have any other children

Offline Tgapitbull

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 02 April 23 04:50 BST (UK) »
Many thanks Amondg for your postings and information which is much appreciated.

TPB