Author Topic: John MURRAY  (Read 155 times)

Offline wildcats13

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John MURRAY
« on: Sunday 02 April 23 06:02 BST (UK) »
I am trying to confirm the family line for our John Murray (1781-1857) who came to Sydney, Australia in 1833 on the ship Eliza, with wife Ruth Proctor and children Ruth (7) & George Edward Murray (11).
I found a marriage detail for John's father Patrick Murray, who married Hannah Sinkins, Banns date    1 Nov 1779, Banns Place: Exeter, St Paul, Devon, England. Patrick was born about 1747 in Cashel, near Ballymahon, Longford, Ireland and died 7 Aug 1826 in Exeter, Devon, England, as did Hannah in November 1823.
On 5 Nov 1794 • UK, Royal Hospital Chelsea Pensioners
Patrick was discharged from Hospital. Apothecary in 50th Regiment & others. Served 26 years. Private. Worn out & wounds. (see attachment)
My main concern relates to John's Gr. Grandfather (Patrick Murray) & Gr. GR. Grandfather (George Murray). This Patrick was born about 1725 in Armagh, Killybearn, County Tyrone (Ireland 1766 (Religish Census) and believe he was a Corporal in the 50th & 52nd Regiment. I have read where Patricks parents were George Murray & Amelia Murray, and that indicates that this was Lord George Murray who was born in Huntingtower, Perthshire, Scotland. From what I have been able to find so far, there was no Patrick born to this George Murray.
I have searched the UK Parish register and the General Register Office for Northern Ireland without success, and still to check the UK Muster and war records, but don't believe I will find the parent details between Patrick & George necessary to confirm the family line. I am hoping someone may be able to shed some light on the problem